This immersive hybrid TEFL program has it all: online training and TEFL certificate, immersion in local schools in Tokyo, a fun “English camp” finale, and all the program inclusions to help you make the most of your new home in Japan! You’ll learn, train, and teach alongside a local team of TEFL teachers in elementary, middle, and high schools. You’ll also take online TEFL courses that will award you a TEFL certificate and credentials to land a paid job. When you’re not studying or training, you can look forward to cultural activities, tours and trips, exchanges with locals, and so much more. After such a rewarding experience, you’ll almost definitely want to plan a long-term return to Japan, and this program sets you up perfectly for that!
Online TEFL Certificate: 120 Hours
Tokyo Classroom Experience: 40+ Hours
- Live in Tokyo, the world's largest and possibly most captivating city
- Split your time between in-person learning and teaching experience in Tokyo and an online TEFL Certificate course
- Enjoy a comprehensive program with support, housing, professional development, excursions, social and cultural activities, and more
- Explore Tokyo and the rest of vibrant and diverse Japan through program activities and in your free time
- The prospect of a paid TEFL job can propel your (inevitable) return to Japan!
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Harajuku, Meiji Shrine, & Shibuya
Shortly after your arrival, we’ll set out to get a lay of the land, enjoying a tour of some of the top sites in Tokyo and its surrounds. Accompanied by our Japanese university students, we’ll head to the Meiji Shrine, the largest and most famous shrine in Tokyo. Next, we’ll cruise through Harajuku, one of the most famous fashion districts in the world. We’ll get the night started in nearby Shibuya, enjoying a welcome Izakaya party and a sampling of a variety of Japanese food.
Together with local University students, this excursion will take us on a short subway ride to Asakusa, an area in Tokyo not far from the Tokyo Sky Tree where you will have free time for shopping, visit the famous Sensoji temple as well as the well known Kaminarimon (Kaminari Gate) structure.
Tokyo Bus Sky Tour
We’ll check out some of Tokyo’s top destinations on an open air bus tour, from the top level looking down on the active streets. We’ll take in a lot to give you a better sense of some of the amazing sites you can spend quality time at later, including the SkyTree, Asakusa, Tokyo Tower, Akihabara and more. We’ll stop off at some of these spots to discover more and hop back on to finish the tour that runs throughout the day!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Be open to meeting new people! Some of my favorite memories while traveling include meeting people in hostels, or by getting involved at my school abroad. You never know who will be a lifelong friend! Try all of the local foods, even if you don’t think you will like it. Write everything down in a journal- you will appreciate those stories later!
Travel Tip: When choosing places to travel, venture to locations with a culture entirely different than your own, where the language, food, behaviors, traditions, ways of thinking, and ways of working and living are totally foreign to you. The experience will be transformative in good ways and stay with you for a lifetime.
Traveling to Japan is an adventure waiting to happen and so long as you keep an open mind you will create more memories and friendships than you ever could have imagined. Through your classes, excursions, and walking around the streets of Tokyo you will experience the beautiful culture of Japan and leave with the wish to return to the great country again and again.
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJune 3DepartureJuly 15PRICE$4,590
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Orientation in Tokyo
- Multiple excursions and activities
- Online 120 Hour TEFL Certificate
- 40+ Hours of observing, shadowing, and teaching English language learners in classrooms
- Exchange with teachers in Tokyo from other countries to learn about their experience
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program