Head to Quito, Ecuador for a summer full of incredible personal and professional experiences on this comprehensive hybrid TEFL program! You’ll work alongside local teachers, shadowing and observing their work, while also planning lessons and taking the lead teacher role for some classes when you’re ready. You’ll spend time between a non-profit school for children and a local high school to get a sense of different ages and English abilities. To complement your in-classroom experience, you’ll also take online TEFL courses that will award you a TEFL certificate and credentials to land a paid job! Rounding out this comprehensive hybrid online/in-person TEFL course are excursions, social and cultural activities, housing, staff support, professional development, and more.
Online TEFL Certificate: 120 Hours
Quito Classroom Experience: 40+ Hours
- Split your time between in-person learning and teaching experience in Quito and an online TEFL Certificate course
- Gain exposure to a variety of teaching settings between a non-profit school for young children and a local high school
- Enjoy a comprehensive program with support, housing (homestay), professional development, excursions, social and cultural activities, and more
- Spend your summer in Quito, which at 9,000 feet elevation is typically dry and mild
- Explore Quito and the rest of vibrant and diverse Ecuador through program activities and in your free time
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Mindo Cloud Forest
Enjoy beautiful scenery, waterfalls, rivers, butterflies, and hummingbirds as you take in the Mindo Cloud Forest. This trip gets sweeter when you finish the day visiting a local, organic chocolate factory.
Hike down to the historic crater lake and ride donkeys back up to the top, while admiring the spectacular view!
Otavalo Indigenous Market and Cuicocha Lake
Visit one of the biggest and most colorful indigenous markets in Latin America, where you can buy traditional trinkets and eat delicious local food. Plus, take a boat ride in Cuicocha Lake, which is at the foot of a volcano.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Leave everything you think you know about traveling, the country, culture, or people, behind you! You’ll most likely be surprised, so discover everything as new. Take public transportation and make friends with locals- they will show you the best places and usually hook you up. Most of all, stay present and enjoy! 🙂
Travel Tip: Drink coffee the local way. Dine with a host family. Eat some recommended street food. Drink fresh juice from local fruits. Find that hole-in-the-wall restaurant that will probably serve the best meal of your time abroad (and it will likely cost less too!). Food and drink can be an excellent inroad to getting to know another culture.
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 29DepartureJuly 11PRICE$3,990 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Orientation in Quito
- Multiple excursions and activities
- Online 120 Hour TEFL Certificate
- 40+ Hours of observing, shadowing, and teaching English language learners in classrooms
- Exchange with teachers in Quito from the US to learn about their experience
- Housing (homestay)
- Breakfast daily in homestay and meal stipend equivalent of one additional daily meal
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program