Gain great experience teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) while living in vibrant Chiang Mai, Thailand during the summer! You’ll observe other TEFL teachers, enjoy insights from mentors, and even take the lead as teacher when you’re prepared for it. To complement your in-classroom experience, you’ll also take online TEFL courses that will award you a TEFL certificate and credentials to land a paid job! Rounding out this comprehensive hybrid online/in-person TEFL course are excursions, social and cultural activities, housing, staff support, professional development, and more.
Online TEFL Certificate: 120 Hours
Chiang Mai Classroom Experience: 40+ Hours
- Live in Chiang Mai, recently voted the world's second-best city and full of charm and adventure
- Explore Chiang Mai and the rest of vibrant and diverse Thailand through program activities and in your free time
- Split your time between in-person learning and teaching experience in Chiang Mai and an online TEFL Certificate course
- Enjoy a comprehensive program with support, housing, professional development, excursions, social and cultural activities, and more
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
This 2 day trip to Bangkok covers both the old and new City of Angels. See the center of Bangkok’s massive Chinatown, visit the Temple of a 5 ton golden buddha that was lost for almost 200 years, experience the center of bustling metropolitan Bangkok, and much more!
CISabroad participants will enjoy a day of friendly appreciation of elephants at one of Thailand’s most respected elephant sanctuaries. You’ll learn about the sanctuary’s role in the protection of these great creatures, and maybe even get to take a swim with them!
Thai Cooking Class
During this excursion you will learn all about Thai fruits, vegetable, and herbs, visit the market and learn about the different ingredients and then make 5 dishes of your own from scratch.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Leave everything you think you know about traveling, the country, culture, or people, behind you! You’ll most likely be surprised, so discover everything as new. Take public transportation and make friends with locals- they will show you the best places and usually hook you up. Most of all, stay present and enjoy! 🙂
Travel Tip: Expect the unexpected! Sometimes culture shock is stronger in countries where you expect things to be more similar to your home country and environment. Traveling abroad is an excellent way to learn more about your own culture, habits, style, and adaptability.
Studying abroad in Thailand has challenged my most basic assumptions about tourism, society, and identity. It has been the best four months of my life.
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJune 14 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 27 (Estimated)PRICE$3,190 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Orientation in Chiang Mai
- Intro to Thai language during orientation
- Multiple excursions
- Online 120 Hour TEFL Certificate
- 40+ Hours of observing, shadowing, and teaching English language learners in classrooms
- Exchange with teachers in Chiang Mai from other countries to learn about their experience
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program