Summer on the Gold Coast offers a wide range of courses, a beautiful campus just minutes from the beach, and a fun social setting in a vibrant community. Get the best of everything and get a full semester ahead! Study at Bond University, a university with a close-knit community on the water. The program operates on a U.S academic calendar, with a full 14-week term starting in May that still provides you with an active and lively campus setting. Not to mention it has exceptional fitness facilities, restaurants, and cafés all within walking distance of some of the finest sand beaches on the Gold Coast.
- Numerous social and recreational activities on- and off-campus
- Gold Coast's "winter" climate—70 degrees and sunny
- Official Bond University DIGITAL Transcript
- AACSB International Business school accreditation
- A full 14-week semester, with dozens of course options
- Beautiful, modern campus with top-notch fitness facilities, common areas, and manicured grounds
- Small student body: 4,000 students
- Small class sizes with innovative curriculum
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
CIS Abroad’s Semester on the Gold Coast is located at Bond University. Founded in 1989, Bond is Australia’s newest and most innovative universities. As one of only two private universities in the country, Bond sets itself apart from other Australian institutions. You’ll enjoy smaller class sizes and a more intimate campus experience. The University also follows a U.S. academic calendar with semesters beginning in September and January, making it a great fit for American study abroad students.
One of Bond’s most popular classes among study abroad students is Environmental Field Analysis of Rainforest and Coastal Regions, affectionately known by students as “Island Class.” It’s is a one-of-a-kind learning experience at Bond University. The intensive subject is undertaken on North Stradbroke Island, one of Queensland’s diverse and picturesque environmental regions.
Bond is the school for you if you want a high-quality academic experience in a beautiful setting. The University is one of Australia’s best-rated universities—and it’s just fifteen minutes from a 100-mile-long beach. In fact, Bond has won the most five-star ratings of any university in the respected 2016 Good Universities Guide, an Australian publication. Bond has a reputation for personalized education by expert teachers, innovative courses and teaching methods, and a highly internationalized student body. You’ll join over 4,000 students, 25 percent of which are international.
Students adore Bond’s campus, which has extremely modern facilities set around a stunning lake. As a study abroad student, you’ll get outstanding support, including academic advising and personal and professional counseling. Because of the size of the student body, it’s easy to get involved with campus activities. You can join social clubs, academic-focused organizations, and even sport groups.
Accredited Australian university by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
Beginning effective January 1, 2020, all CIS Abroad returning transcripts from institutions in Australia will be completely digital. This will mean no physical copies of transcripts will be mailed for this program.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Gold Coast
Welcome and Orientation
Fall and Spring Semester Students:
Your program will kick off with a bang in the form of the CIS Abroad Adventure Orientation. This 4 day/3 night orientation will provide you with a unique look into Australian culture, its iconic wildlife, and world-class natural environments. We’ll keep you moving much of the time, visiting places like the rainforest, indigenous communities, and the Great Barrier Reef. You’ll also get to do things we know you came a long way to do, like holding koalas, snorkeling, and feeding kangaroos.
Your program will kick off with a bang with a fun orientation in the Gold Coast. You’ll explore areas like Surfer’s Paradise and Bond University. We’ll keep you moving much of the time!
Regardless of which orientation you’ll enjoy, we’ll also sit down to provide insight and discussion into program and behavioral expectations, with topics such as culture, slang, food, and where to go and what to do when you settle into your new home in the Gold Coast. Once you’re settled in the Gold Coast, you’ll also get an orientation at Bond University to help you get adjusted to your new surrounds and learn your way around.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to Australia.
The Summer on the Gold Coast has only off-campus housing.
Off-campus apartments: The Reserve
- Single-room in shared apartments are fully furnished and come with cutlery, crockery, cookware, and air conditioning
- Shared living room with other international students
- Outdoor luxury pool with sand floor
- Exclusive work out facility
- Coin-operated laundry facilities and a pool on site
- Central AC in shared living room
- A few minutes walking distance from campus
- This is a self-catering option, meal plan not included
- Local beaches: Say “hi” to the local surf lifesavers. Just remember to stay inside the flags when you take a dip.
- Mount Tamborine: The green behind the gold. Go for walks and enjoy lookouts plus great cafes and art galleries.
- Whale Watching: June to November spend some time with the gentle giants of the sea.
- Currumbin Rockpools: Very popular when it heats up on the coast, this is a perfect place to take a dip and cool down away from the crowded beaches.
- Miami Marketta: A local hotspot for awesome street food and live local music.
- Currumbin creek: Try stand-up paddle boarding or kayaking or take on the waves (great for beginners) at Currumbin Alley.
- Farmers Markets: Australians love their fresh produce! Check out the local markets on every weekend across the coast where you can enjoy a kombucha or organic tea while you stock up on your fresh fruit and veg for the week.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Just an hour down the road, Byron Bay is a popular coastal town with its own unique vibe that attracts visitors from around the globe. We’ll explore the lighthouse and the most easterly point of Australia. You can try to spot dolphins and even have a go at catching some waves with a surf lesson.
Burleigh Headland Walk
Take a beautiful walk around the Burleigh Head National Park and visit the Jellurgal Aboriginal Cultural Centre. Here you can try bush tucker (bushfood) and learn about the amazing culture of the Yugambeh people.
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Visit one of the Gold Coast’s most popular tourist destinations in natural bushland and rainforest settings. You can feed the friendly kangaroos and say “gidday” to a koala at our local wildlife reserve.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: Get outside, take your time to walk around the streets of your new city or neighbourhood – get a feel for the people and what makes it unique. I love getting up early and exploring a new destination as it ‘wakes up’- it is an amazing time of the day to see a city or town slowly come to life.
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalMay 6 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 18 (Estimated)PRICE$17,990 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- CIS Abroad Orientation
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Housing (apartments or residence halls) and optional meal plan
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- Bond University orientation
- On-site support
- Bond University official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program