Imagine spending your summer in the scenic seaside city of Sorrento, the gateway to the Amalfi Coast. Study Italian, marine biology, volcanology, international tourism, and sustainability by day, and retreat to the romantic piazzas overlooking the sea by night. The Sant’Anna Institute encourages students to become members of the community during their time abroad. Local shop owners will come to know you as a local, with your discount card that is valid at a number of stores and restaurants in Sorrento. Participate in a variety of civic engagement and service learning opportunities to get involved in the local community.
- Numerous beaches and coves at your fingertips
- Easy access to both the northern cities of Florence and Rome
- Miles of hiking and trekking trails along the Amalfi Coast
- Three or six credits per session, including internships
- Option to combine Session 1 & 2 for 12 total credits
- Classrooms overlooking the fishing village of Marina Grande
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
Located atop a seaside cliff, the Sant’Anna Institute is housed in a prominent building offering breathtaking views of the Marina Grande of Sorrento. Courses are rooted in experiential learning, which means you’ll get a unique, hands-on experience.
The grounds offer a tranquil private garden, and the campus building houses classrooms, computer labs, student lounges, a kitchen, and residential rooms on the top floor. From the Institute, you can reach the city center by foot in just fifteen minutes, and the train station is a quick 20-minute walk. When you’re not studying, you can join service learning opportunities, language exchange groups, and volunteer projects—as well as exploring the city and relaxing.
The Sant’Anna Institute, founded in 1998, is a private institute accredited by the Italian Ministry of Education, and is a member of Edu Italia. Courses are accredited by Jacksonville University, which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Accredited by Jacksonville University (Florida), which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Sorrento
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll be collected from the airport and taken to your accommodation. In the first few days you’ll take part in both the University and CIS Abroad orientation program where you’ll learn practical tips for living in Italy like where to go out, how to stay safe, where to shop. We will also take you to explore the local eateries in Sorrento and you’ll enjoy a welcome meal.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
At the end of the program we will all get together for one last epic meal and talk about your adventures and experiences. Our staff will also share some precious tips on going back home feeling like a champ! Your study abroad experience is something to be cherished and shared with your family and friends back home.
- Cooking Class and Dinner: Learn how to make your favorite dishes and eat them too at fattoria Terranova.
- I Limoneti di Sorrento: Visit at “I Limoneti di Sorrento” and Food Tasting- www.galanoraffaele.it (Sorrento - Sant’Agnello by train or private transportation) for the cost of 35 EUR per person.
- Napoli Sotterranea: Visit the underground city of Naples and see the historic places where it all started including a Greek-Roman Aqueduct.
- Capri: Explore Capri by ferry from Sorrento.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Pompeii, Naples and Amalfi Coast
To get the full experience of the famous buried city of Pompeii, take a guided tour of the ruins. From there, head to the dramatic and stunningly beautiful Amalfi Coast, which looks over the Mediterranean Sea from its rocky shores. Included is a ferry ride for a day trip to the stunning island of Capri. Finally, shop in local stores and dine at famous pizzerias in Naples.
Mount Vesuvius is a stratovolcano in the Gulf of Naples, about nine kilometres (5.6 miles) east of Naples and a short distance from the shore. Vesuvius consists of a large cone partially encircled by the steep rim of a summit caldera. Mount Vesuvius is best known for its eruption in AD 79 that buried and destroyed the Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum.
A resort since the Roman Republic, Capri is still a tourist destination for both Italians and travelers. Features of the island include the Marina Piccola (the little harbor), the Belvedere of Tragara (a high panoramic promenade lined with villas), the limestone crags called “sea stacks” that project above the sea (the Faraglioni), the town of Anacapri, and the ruins of the Imperial Roman villas.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Start walking and don’t be afraid to get lost, that is how you begin to understand your surroundings. If the culture is slow – be slow! Take hours to enjoy a coffee and connect with a friend. If the pace is fast, jump in! Be patient with yourself as you adjust. Start a journal and write everything down. It’s incredible to look back and remind yourself of who you were at a time of growth and discovery!
Travel Tip: If while traveling there’s no internet, embrace it. Play a card game with someone in the hostel common room, read a book, lie on the beach, go for a walk, talk to a stranger, think about life. Some of my favourite travel memories are from times when I didn’t have an Internet connection.
I never thought I would be able to study abroad. I was able to meet great people and feel a strong family connection with my host family. I hope to visit them next year!
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 26 (Estimated)DepartureJune 29 (Estimated)PRICE$5,790 - $6,690 (Estimated)3 credits - $5,790 6 credits - $6,690
Summer 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJune 30 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 3 (Estimated)PRICE$5,790 - $6,690 (Estimated)3 credits - $5,790 6 credits - $6,690
Summer 2020: Sessions 1 & 2
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 26 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 3 (Estimated)PRICE$9,790 - $11,490 (Estimated)$9,790 - 6 credits $11,490 - 12 credits
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Jacksonville University Transcript (beginning Summer 2019)
- Excursions to Pompeii, Mt. Vesuvius, and Naples
- Discount card for local restaurants and shops
- Tandem language program
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Full-time tuition & fees
- Housing (shared bedroom in apartment, single supplement fee)
- Pre-departure and on-site orientation
- Airport pickup
- Medical & Accident Insurance
- La Vida Local cultural program