Summer at the University of Sydney has it all: world-class academics at a prestigious university, life in a vibrant, historical city, and endless opportunities to immerse yourself in Australian culture. Ready to study Down Under, but can’t commit to a full semester? Turn Australia into your classroom for three or six weeks this summer! Sprawling across central Sydney, the university has its own zipcode, but the mix of Hogwartsy buildings, high-tech modern buildings, and graffiti tunnel maintain its campus feel. Take advantage of the University of Sydney’s numerous social events from surf camp to breakfast with koalas, or a harbour cruise.
- University ranked in top 3% of universities worldwide
- World-class facilities, inspirational academics, and dedicated faculty and professors
- AACSB-accredited business school
- Official University of Sydney DIGITAL Transcript
- Big city living, but with easy access to Sydney's world famous beaches
- Broad course offerings in business, international studies, and communications
- Six U.S. credits in just six weeks
- Get to know local Australians through the MATES Social Mentoring Program
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
The University of Sydney is continuously rated in the top 0.3 percent of universities in the world and in the top 50 of many worldwide rankings. The university boasts top-notch academics, dedicated faculty and staff, and research facilities that are globally recognized. Plus, you’ll connect with Aussies and students from around the world; the University draws 15,000 international students from over 145 countries.
The University of Sydney is the oldest member of the prestigious “Group of Eight,” Australia’s Ivy League. Your course options will seem endless. You can study business, communications, political science, or more than one hundred other academic areas. Enjoy world-class facilities, inspirational academics, and expert faculty and professors. To add depth to your interactions abroad, you can get to know local Australians through the MATES Social Mentoring Program. Or, you can join over 200 campus clubs and societies.
When at the University of Sydney, you’ll study in the heart of one of the world’s great cities. You can choose from multiple campuses where you might take classes, and all are close to one another and within two miles to downtown Sydney. The University’s main campus, Camperdown/Darlington, covers over 170 acres. You’ll find state-of-the-art teaching and learning technology, including six libraries, art galleries, historical museums, and perfectly manicured lawns.
Accredited by The Department of Education and Training of Australia. Also accredited by AACSB and EQUIS.
Beginning effective January 1, 2020, all CIS Abroad returning transcripts from institutions in Australia will be completely digital. This will mean no physical copies of transcripts will be mailed for this program.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Sydney
Welcome and Orientation
Your program will kick off with a comprehensive orientation. You will learn more about the culture and vivacious city around you. We’ll explore some of Sydney’s countless attractions, from beaches to business districts. We’ll also sit down to discuss program and behavioral expectations, with topics such as culture, slang, and where to go and what to do when you settle into your new home in Sydney.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to Australia.
As a participant in the Summer in Sydney program, you’ll live in a modern youth accommodation centrally located in the city with easy access to the University of Sydney and all the main attractions of Sydney. All locations are less than a 20-minute walk to campus or a 10 minute train ride. CIS Abroad students will have a shared bedroom with CIS Abroad students only.
- Shared bathroom (each floor as both male and female bathrooms)
- Linen package, wifi,
- Shared kitchen area complete with refrigerator and oven
- Common lounge area with tables for studying
- Opal Card (public transportation) and SIM card
This housing option also includes a travel agency onsite to help you book all of your Australian travels and they usually include a discount. This youth accommodation also offers organized events (outside of CIS Abroad excursions), examples include: Yoga Class, Trivia Tuesday, Day out at the Glebe Markets and more! This housing option also includes a cafe 700 meters from the front door!
- Cockatoo Island: Take the ferry to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site in the middle of beautiful Sydney Harbour.
- Fish Markets: The largest working fish market in the southern hemisphere - open from 7am every day. Book a behind the scenes tour to see the real wholesale auction that kicks off at 5.30am.
- Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum: Find your favorite flavour of dumpling when you visit Chinatown. Then pop to the nearby Powerhouse Museum – this is an interactive museum dedicated to science, technology and design. If you want to grab some bargains you can also stop by Paddys Market!
- Hyde Park: Visit the Australian Museum (Australia’s first museum), the ANZAC memorial, St Mary’s Cathedral and Hyde Park Barracks – a good dose of Aussie culture and history.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Taking the ferry over the harbor to Manly is an experience in itself. At the beach, you can sunbathe, try paddle boarding, dine on fish and chips, or take a leisurely bush hike that will lead you to unobstructed views of glimmering water.
Sydney Tower Eye
Visit Sydney’s tallest structure and the second tallest observation tower in the Southern Hemisphere. Save this one until you know your way around the city—then head up to the observation deck to see it from above. On a clear day, you’ll be surprised what you can spot!
Milson's Point and Kirribilli
Start with a walk over the Harbour Bridge, then visit Luna Park for a bit of theme-park fun. From there, explore the Kirribilli markets for local music, fashion, and Australian trinkets.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: Looking for a change of pace in Sydney? While you could certainly travel up or down the coast, consider heading into the “hinterland” by taking the train up to the Blue Mountains area. You’ll see spectacular scenery and pass through tiny, welcoming villages.
Summer 2020 - 3 Week Session
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalMay 31DepartureJune 24PRICE$5,990
Summer 2020 - 6 Week Session
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalMay 31DepartureJuly 16PRICE$6,590 - $8,990$6,590 - 1 Unit $8,990 - 2 Units
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- CIS Abroad Orientation
- Student union and club fees
- Local Australian mentor
- University of Sydney official transcript
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Full-time tuition & fees
- Housing (shared bedroom in apartment, single supplement fee)
- Pre-departure and on-site orientation
- Airport pickup
- Medical & Accident Insurance
- La Vida Local cultural program