On our Summer in Ecuador program, you’ll live 9,000 feet above sea level in the amazing city of Quito. Its historic downtown, full of cobblestone streets and colorful buildings, will captivate you all summer long. You’ll study alongside locals at Universidad San Francisco de Quito, considered the country’s top university. Exceptional support, cultural activities, and excursions ensure that you’ll make the most of your time in this geographically small but exceptionally diverse country.
- One of the most diverse countries in the world, from the wilds of the Amazon to the majestic Andes to the Pacific beaches
- Nine U.S. credits in nine weeks
- Quito's UNESCO World Heritage listed colonial center
- Salsa lessons so you can impress on the dance floor
- The thrilling Teleférico, a cable car with a view of Quito from atop a volcano
- Thriving artisan markets showcase vibrant art and indigenous culture of Ecuador
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) is an academic powerhouse that ranks as the top university in Ecuador, according to the 2016 QS University Rankings. You’ll receive an excellent education in a stunning location.
USFQ is a modern university nestled in the beautiful suburbs of Quito. The University employs over half of the PhDs in all of Ecuador. USFQ is well known for its environmental and biological advances, social justice mission, community-service focus, and hands-on academic studies. The nearly 6,000 undergraduates come from 40-plus countries. Even during the summer, there are over 1,000 students from across the globe. You’ll certainly make an international network of friends.
Universidad San Francisco de Quito has a U.S.-style campus, with wireless access, gardens, and areas for yoga, soccer, and pottery. It also boasts the largest library in Ecuador. There are many food options on campus, including a student-run dining hall and bakery. Once off campus, you’ll find many other stores, including a mall, coffee shops, and restaurants.
Accreditation: Ecuadorian Council of Evaluation and Accreditation of High Education
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Quito
Welcome and Orientation
At the airport, you’ll be met by our onsite staff and/or homestay family. They will help transfer you back to your housing and you’ll begin your orientation. During your first few days, you’ll visit the UNESCO world heritage site of old town Quito, learn about Ecuadorian customs, get tips on how to blend in, learn some common slang words and even how to deal with altitude sickness. (Yes! You will be living at more than 9000 feet in Quito!) Then there’s the welcome meal: the perfect opportunity to learn about Ecuadorian food. Did you know that in Ecuador there are more than 200 varieties of potatoes as well as a tomato that hangs up from a tree?!
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Going home after all your Ecuadorian adventures and adjusting again to your home culture can be hard. We try to help make this process less abrupt by walking you through what to expect and, also, how to benefit from your newly gained knowledge. During our farewell evening we’ll give you some ideas as to how to integrate your new experiences into your personal and professional life back home.
On Summer in Ecuador, you’ll truly immerse yourself in the culture with a homestay. Students typically say that living with a local family was their favorite part of traveling abroad. Your host family will treat you like a member of the family.
- They’ll prepare breakfast and dinner for you, allowing you to get to know (and love) Quiteño cooking!
- Bed linens
- Weekly laundry service
This safe, comfortable, secure home will help you integrate into your life abroad.
- Cooking classes: Learn how to prepare the local cuisine and surprise your family when you go back home!
- Metropolitan Park: Walk through the woods in the middle of the city of Quito.
- Music concerts at local restaurants / bars: Enjoy jazz, Blues, Salsa, in a cozy environment while eating a good meal.
- Dance classes: Becoming a great salsa dancer isn’t easy...it takes practice!
- Soccer games: We love soccer and you will have plenty of opportunities to see a game.
- Movie theater: Tuesdays are the best days since it’s two for the price of one!
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Otavalo Indigenous Market and Cuicocha Lake
Visit one of the biggest and most colorful indigenous markets in Latin America, where you can buy traditional trinkets and eat delicious local food. Plus, take a boat ride in Cuicocha Lake, which is at the foot of a volcano.
Hike down to the historic crater lake and ride donkeys back up to the top, while admiring the spectacular view!
Pichincha Volcano (by cable car)
Take a cable car 12,943 feet up to enjoy a magnificent view of Quito. You can walk through the paramo (high mountain vegetation), where there’s a cool but enjoyable breeze.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When in doubt, reach out! More often than not, locals will respect and respond matching the effort that you put into communication. Practice makes perfect, and leaving your comfort zone means expanding your comfort zone!
Travel Tip: Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world and home to 14 different indigenous nationalities. Be prepared to experience new landscapes, aromas, tastes, sounds and people. Respect the places and the people you will be with and never stop learning!
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 15 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 17 (Estimated)PRICE$9,290 - $9,990 (Estimated)Without Tiputini Excursion: $9,290 With Tiputini Excursion: $9,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Housing (homestay)
- Meals (2 per day)
- Medical and accident insurance
- Option of going on the 4 day Tiputini Excursion
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- CIS Abroad on-site orientation
- Universidad de San Francisco de Quito orientation
- Universidad de San Francisco de Quito official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program