Choosing to study and live in Bristol for a summer will prompt so many questions. Do you spend the weekend in town for the music festival, hop a train into London, or cruise over to Wales? While choosing one amazing activity over another may present a challenge, you’ll find it easy to make Bristol your home for a memorable summer. With its own airport, Bristol is an easy hub to other European cities. Not that you need to travel for new experiences: summer students enjoy embedded field trips two evenings a week, like a street art walking tour or private ferryboat around Bristol Harbour.
- Soak up Bristol's lively summertime vibes, with concerts, festivals, and street performances on the regular
- Enjoy a fully comprehensive program, even including meals
- Hone your studies through focused academic tracks like Biological Science, Innovation, Archaeology, or Research
- Embrace an authentically British city with an independent, creative spirit
- Find your nature fix both near and far, between Bristol's bountiful green spaces and nearby coast and nature reserves
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
The University of Bristol offers both a rich academic and campus life. A great choice for interdisciplinary majors, the University of Bristol also offers unique and flexible research opportunities that focus on real-world outcomes. Campus is embedded in the heart of the city center, with historic buildings with modern updates.
The University of Bristol has been a beacon of positive change since opening in 1876, allowing women applicants to be accepted alongside men from its inception. It is a part of the prestigious Russel Group, and is considered one of the top 50 universities in the world, one of the Top 10 universities in the UK, and in the Top 5 in the UK for research.
On campus, get ready to get involved. The Global Lounge is an on-campus team dedicated to hosting events and creating space for international students on campus, and they offer day trips outside the city and programming during welcome week. Because the University of Bristol is committed to international education and increasing access, the campus of 18,000 undergraduate students is truly global and diverse.
The Students’ Union is the social hub of campus and includes two theatres, a café-bar, photography darkroom, pottery and dance studios, rehearsal rooms and a swimming pool, making it is one of the largest Students’ Union buildings in the UK. The campus also boasts a recently renovated sports center and swimming pool. And, when you wish to explore the similarly vibrant scene off-campus, the University’s central location makes it easy to explore all that Bristol offers!
See the campus for yourself with University of Bristol’s Virtual Campus Tours.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Forgive yourself for not always knowing exactly what to do in a new place; if you’re humble, people will be happy to nudge you in the right direction. And always have a deck of cards in your backpack!
Travel Tip: Be patient with yourself and kind to those you meet along the way. Show gratitude daily, laugh often, and give thanks for the journey you are on. There will be hard days, but remember, the magic is in the journey and each day makes that journey complete. Smile!
Summer 2020 - Session 1: Arts, Activism, and Social Justice
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJune 7 (Estimated)DepartureJune 27 (Estimated)PRICE$6,490 (Estimated)
Summer 2020 - Session 2: BioMedical Sciences, Field Archaeology, and Innovation & Enterprise
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJuly 18 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 8 (Estimated)PRICE$6,490 (Estimated)
Summer 2020 - Session 3: STEM Lab Research Projects
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJuly 18 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 29 (Estimated)PRICE$10,390 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Partial meal plan
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup at Heathrow or Bristol airports
- CIS Abroad orientation
- On-site support
- On-campus wi-fi
- La Vida Local cultural program
- University of Bristol Social Program