A distinctly vibrant and lively city, Buenos Aires delights students with its attractive mixture of European traditions and native traits. Rich in contrasts, with its stunning European architecture, café culture, musical rhythms, passion for soccer, and genuine hospitality, the city is an extended classroom where you can develop your Spanish language skills. Universidad de Belgrano is a respected institution with a long tradition of offering programs for international students. Add our Jewish Immersion Program, which offers support, cultural activities, and connections with the local Jewish community – the sixth-largest in the world.
Language and Cultural Studies: May 1
Medical Spanish: May 1
Intensive Spanish Session 1: April 1
Intensive Spanish Session 2: May 1
Intensive Spanish Session 3: June 1
- An internationally focused university
- A semester's worth of Spanish-language credit at any level
- Strong on-site support from local staff
- Centrally located homestays or apartments with local Argentines
- City tour, excursions, group activities, cultural insights, and more
- Variety of sessions and durations
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
ACADEMICS + COMMUNITY
Universidad de Belgrano, dubbed “UB,” is a top-ranked university with a long tradition of hosting international students – you’ll meet students from all over the world, so you’ll be studying with not only Argentinians, but also people from Europe, Asia, and Africa. With current enrollment of more than 14,000 students, UB is passionate about its community-based social values. Look for many opportunities to join cultural events throughout the semester, including orientation festivities, international culture night, latin dancing, and more.
Centrally located in Belgrano, one of Buenos Aires’ main neighborhoods, UB is a quick subway or bus ride from both housing locations and within easy reach of downtown Buenos Aires. On campus, enjoy numerous sports facilities, a theater, computer labs, and more.
The 2019 QS University Rankings ranked UB #78 among the top 300 universities in Latin America. Accredited by the Ministry of Education of Argentina as a degree-awarding institution of undergraduate and graduate education.
UNIQUE OFFERINGS AT UNIVERSIDAD BELGRANO
At Universidad Belgrano, students have the opportunity to choose classes from different tracks, depending on their current Spanish language level. The PEAL track was developed specifically for international students. Learn more about specific courses available in each track in the “Choose Your Courses” section:
- MEDICAL SPANISH: Practical Spanish language training for medical professionals, PLUS firsthand experience shadowing in a health clinic. Intensive practice will be provided in two ways: through clinical rotation at Hospital Británico in the mornings and Spanish classes at Universidad de Belgrano in the afternoons.
- TEACHING SPANISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE: Hybrid program that combines a course in foreign language pedagogy with a teaching assistantship in a bilingual primary school in Buenos Aires.
- INTENSIVE SPANISH: Immerse yourself in language learning or combine courses with other summer tracks
- SUMMER PEAL: Taught in upper-intermediate or advanced Spanish. Summer courses include “Arte Literatura Argentina” and “Cultura y civilizacion en Latinoamerica”
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Plaza de Mayo
The city centre of Buenos Aires, Plaza de Mayo has been the scene of the most momentous events in Argentine history, as well as the largest popular demonstrations in the country. On the occasion of the one-year anniversary of the May Revolution in 1811, the Pirámide de Mayo (English: May Pyramid) was inaugurated in the square’s hub, becoming Buenos Aires’ first national monument. It hosts the government house, the Buenos Aires Cathedral and the Cabildo, the site of Spain’s administration back in colonial times.
The newest neighborhood in Buenos Aires, Puerto Madero hosts a beautiful waterfront, 5 star hotels, an ecological reserve and contemporary architecture. We walk from Plaza de Mayo down to the river – a great place to enjoy a Mate picnic! The most emblematic point for a picture is the Women’s Bridge, a stunning feat of engineering as well as a work of art. Its design resembles a hook or a tooth of some sort, but actually, the architect Santiago Calatrava designed the bridge to look like a couple dancing the tango. The bridge is pedestrian only, and rotates a full 90 degrees to allow ships to pass by.
Buenos Aires Bus Tour
Experience the best way to get to know Buenos Aires – the Buenos Aires Bus! We’ll likely hop on this double-decker downtown for an informative tour of the most iconic places in Buenos Aires, exploring much of the city. We’re also likely to hop off at some point (it’s a hop-on, hop-off service running frequently), possibly in La Boca and/or Puerto Madero.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When in doubt, reach out! More often than not, locals will respect and respond matching the effort that you put into communication. Practice makes perfect, and leaving your comfort zone means expanding your comfort zone!
Travel Tip: Drink coffee the local way. Dine with a host family. Eat some recommended street food. Drink fresh juice from local fruits. Find that hole-in-the-wall restaurant that will probably serve the best meal of your time abroad (and it will likely cost less too!). Food and drink can be an excellent inroad to getting to know another culture.
My time so far in Buenos Aires has been so enriching. There are an infinite amount of things to do here, from live music, to theater, dancing, museums, parks, etc. The city itself is rich with history and combines natural beauty with a cosmopolitan flair. I am excited to become further immersed in the culture!
Summer 2020: Language and Cultural Studies
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalJune 19DepartureJuly 24PRICE$5,490$5,490 is for accommodations at an international student residence. Additional fee for a homestay.
Summer 2020: Teaching Spanish as a Second Language
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 23DepartureJuly 3PRICE$5,990$5,990 is for accommodations at an international student residence. Additional fee for a homestay.
Summer 2020: Medical Spanish
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalJune 19DepartureJuly 24PRICE$5,990$5,990 is for accommodations at an international student residence. Additional fee for a homestay.
Summer 2020: Intensive Spanish - Session 1
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalMay 23DepartureJune 20PRICE$4,190 - $6,990One Session in International Student Residence: $4,190 Two Sessions in International Student Residence: $6,990 *Homestay additional fee
Summer 2020: Intensive Spanish - Session 2
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalJune 19DepartureJuly 18PRICE$4,190 - $6,990One Session in International Student Residence: $4,190 Two Sessions in International Student Residence: $6,990 *Homestay additional fee
Summer 2020: Intensive Spanish - Session 3
Application DeadlineJune 1ArrivalJuly 17DepartureAugust 15PRICE$4,190 - $6990One Session in International Student Residence: $4,190 Two Sessions in International Student Residence: $6,990 *Homestay additional fee
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
JEWISH PROGRAM ADD-ON
We aim to give Jewish students who respect kosher and shabbat the opportunity of participating in a study or intern abroad program, assuring that they will be able to maintain their religious traditions. Plus, Argentina is home to around 250,000 Jews, making it the sixth largest Jewish community in the world, and the biggest in Latin America.
For a $500 add-on to any of our Argentina programs, we will provide:
- Homestay accommodation with Jewish families, matching each student with a family with a similar level of observance and customs.
- Jewish advisor who will come to the orientation and deliver a storytelling about the local community, Jewish tips and a Jewish map. Plus a weekly newsletter with activities within the community.
- 2 placements for shabbat or holiday dinners
- Optional services: Jewish city tour; Kosher lunch boxes
PROCESS FOR APPLYING:
1. Standard application process
2. Tell your CIS Abroad coordinator that you want the Jewish Program Add-On
3. Fill in the Jewish Program Form
4. Wait for confirmations!
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- 5 meals per week in the homestay
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup
- On-site support
- One day excursion
- Universidad de Belgrano official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program