Study at the University of Sydney with state-of-the-art teaching and learning technology, including six libraries, art galleries, and historical museums. Since this prestigious school attracts international students from more than 145 countries, you’ll have endless opportunities to connect with Aussies as well as meet other students from around the world. Sprawling across central Sydney, the university has its own zip code, but the mix of Hogwartsy buildings, high-tech modern buildings, and graffiti tunnel maintain its campus feel.
EXTENDED! New Date: November 10
Fall 2020: April 15
Spring 2021: November 1
- Leading university ranked in the top 0.3 percent worldwide
- World-class facilities, inspirational academics, and dedicated faculty and professors
- Official University of Sydney DIGITAL Transcript
- Over 2,500 course options available to study abroad students
- Central location in one of the top-rated cities in the world for quality of life
- Opportunities to connect to Australians through the MATES Social Mentoring Program!
- AACSB-Accredited Business School means students can easily take business courses
- More than 200 campus clubs and societies
- Enhance your experience by participating in the Global Citizenship Award Program
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Why This University?
The University of Sydney is continuously rated in the top 0.3 percent of universities in the world and in the top 50 of many worldwide rankings. The university boasts top-notch academics, dedicated faculty and staff, and research facilities that are globally recognized. Plus, you’ll connect with Aussies and students from around the world; the University draws 15,000 international students from over 145 countries.
The University of Sydney is the oldest member of the prestigious “Group of Eight,” Australia’s Ivy League. Your course options will seem endless. You can study business, communications, political science, or more than one hundred other academic areas. Enjoy world-class facilities, inspirational academics, and expert faculty and professors. To add depth to your interactions abroad, you can get to know local Australians through the MATES Social Mentoring Program. Or, you can join over 200 campus clubs and societies.
When at the University of Sydney, you’ll study in the heart of one of the world’s great cities. You can choose from multiple campuses where you might take classes, and all are close to one another and within two miles to downtown Sydney. The University’s main campus, Camperdown/Darlington, covers over 170 acres. You’ll find state-of-the-art teaching and learning technology, including six libraries, art galleries, historical museums, and perfectly manicured lawns.
Accredited by The Department of Education and Training of Australia. Also accredited by AACSB and EQUIS.
Beginning effective January 1, 2020, all CIS Abroad returning transcripts from institutions in Australia will be completely digital. This will mean no physical copies of transcripts will be mailed for this program.
How To Choose Your CourseNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
Course ApprovalMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
Course ApprovalIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ Classes In
Life In Sydney
Welcome and Orientation
The gateway to Australia, Sydney is a dynamic and cosmopolitan city that combines culture, history, and beautiful scenery! Sydney is Australia’s largest and oldest city, with a multicultural population of nearly four million. Located along the southeast coast of the Tasman Sea, Sydney has one of the world’s most stunning harbors, with easy-to-reach sandy beaches in every direction. As a student studying in Sydney, you can enjoy some of Australia’s most famous sites, such as the Sydney Opera House, Harbor Bridge, Bondi Beach, and the Royal Botanical Gardens.
Are you a sports fan? Don’t miss out on one of the many fan-driven sporting events within the city. Food enthusiast? Dine on dishes from all over the world thanks to Sydney’s international food scene. Want to take a break from the city and enjoy nature? There are five major national parks around Sydney with 8,000 square kilometers of open space, easily accessible by train.
Visitors to Sydney will agree that the city has a reputation as an international center for commerce, arts, fashion, culture, entertainment, music, education, and tourism. Best of all, Sydney has an enjoyable temperate climate with warm summers and mild winters. It’s the perfect place to explore the city or hit the beach! With its wide range of cultural, historical, culinary, and sports opportunities, Sydney, Australia, is the perfect location for your study abroad experience.
Live La Vida Local
- Cockatoo Island: Take the ferry to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site in the middle of beautiful Sydney Harbour.
- Fish Markets: The largest working fish market in the southern hemisphere - open from 7am every day. Book a behind the scenes tour to see the real wholesale auction that kicks off at 5.30am.
- Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum: Find your favorite flavour of dumpling when you visit Chinatown. Then pop to the nearby Powerhouse Museum – this is an interactive museum dedicated to science, technology and design. If you want to grab some bargains you can also stop by Paddys Market!
- Hyde Park: Visit the Australian Museum (Australia’s first museum), the ANZAC memorial, St Mary’s Cathedral and Hyde Park Barracks – a good dose of Aussie culture and history.
Housing in Sydney
University of Sydney – Studio Apartments
You’ll live in modern, student shared studio apartments located centrally in the city. The apartment partner has a few locations where they place CIS Abroad students, but none are further than a 25 minute walk to campus.
The apartment complex facilities are modern and feature wireless internet throughout the building, 24/7 staffing, secure building access (after hours), on-site gym, communal lounge areas with TVs and study tables, and even an outdoor barbecue area.
All CIS Abroad students are automatically placed into the shared studio apartments. If you would like a single please inquire with your program enrollment coordinator.
Your studio apartment has a complete kitchen with refrigerator and oven.
Inclusions and Amenities
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
If you love watching the big blue ocean in its authentic beautiful nature don't miss this excursion. The view from the cliffs and the cute lighthouse should be enough but we've got some delicious food to persuade you to hang out too!
Would you like to feel like a true Aussie? We thought you might mate! Enjoy a lesson with an instructor and have a fun time with your surfboard catching the waves. *Usually at the iconic Bondi Beach.
4-Day Orientation on the Great Barrier Reef
Talk about an amazing orientation! Spend 4 days learning about the environmental and cultural beauty that Australia has to offer in the Great Barrier Reef. Whether you spend your time snorkeling or exploring the rain forest, you won't leave Cairns without some unbelievable photos and memories!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Looking for a change of pace in Sydney? While you could certainly travel up or down the coast, consider heading into the “hinterland” by taking the train up to the Blue Mountains area. You’ll see spectacular scenery and pass through tiny, welcoming villages.
This is your chance: Do something remarkable. Take the chance and make yourself uncomfortable…then enjoy every second of it!