As a student on the Semester in Sydney – Macquarie University program, you‘ll enjoy a wide variety of innovative classes and an activity-packed student union and sports association -all only a 40 minute train ride outside of Sydney. Sandwiched between a national park and the city’s largest shopping center, Macquarie University is recognized for its high-quality teaching and research, and for its park-like campus in a suburban setting.
Fall: May 15
- Suburban, park-like campus with a direct train line to downtown Sydney and famous beaches
- A top-50 ranked university in the world
- AACSB International Business School accreditation
- More than 200 social, academic, and sport clubs
- Fantastic housing options
- Easy travel to Melbourne, Brisbane, or the Gold Coast
- Opt into Macquarie's Global Leadership Program
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
Fun fact: Macquarie University is the only university in Sydney with its own subway stop! You can hop on a train any time and be in the center of Sydney in about 20 minutes. Since its establishment in 1964, this innovative university has been a pioneer in Australian education. Macquarie ranks as one of Australia’s top ten universities and is in the top 2 percent of universities worldwide. It’s famous for groundbreaking research in the earth sciences, laser physics, linguistics, and education.
You’ll find all you need right on the Macquarie University campus. The facilities are state-of-the-art thanks to a $1 billion investment over the past decade. There are restaurants and food shopping centers, a hospital, health and fitness center, library, and much more. Another bonus: the Macquarie Centre Shopping Mall is located right across the street. And, because you are only 20 minutes from the center of Sydney, living on a park-like campus at Macquarie gives you the best of both worlds.
Macquarie University has 31,200 undergraduate students, 10,000 of which are international, making it one of the most international universities in the world. The diversity on campus—both cultural and ethnic—is a learning lesson in and of itself. During your first week, or “O Week,” you can join campus-led activities and entertainment. Furthermore, there are many student groups and sports clubs to join that will enhance your study abroad experience!
Accredited by The Department of Education and Training of Australia and Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Sydney
Welcome and Orientation
Your program will kick off with a comprehensive orientation. You will learn more about the culture and vivacious city around you. We’ll explore some of Sydney’s countless attractions, from beaches to business districts. We’ll also sit down to discuss program and behavioral expectations, with topics such as culture, slang, and where to go and what to do when you settle into your new home in Sydney.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to Australia.
- Cockatoo Island: Take the ferry to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site in the middle of beautiful Sydney Harbour.
- Fish Markets: The largest working fish market in the southern hemisphere - open from 7am every day. Book a behind the scenes tour to see the real wholesale auction that kicks off at 5.30am.
- Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum: Find your favorite flavour of dumpling when you visit Chinatown. Then pop to the nearby Powerhouse Museum – this is an interactive museum dedicated to science, technology and design. If you want to grab some bargains you can also stop by Paddys Market!
- Hyde Park: Visit the Australian Museum (Australia’s first museum), the ANZAC memorial, St Mary’s Cathedral and Hyde Park Barracks – a good dose of Aussie culture and history.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
If you love watching the big blue ocean in its authentic beautiful nature don’t miss this excursion. The view from the cliffs and the cute lighthouse should be enough but we’ve got some delicious food to persuade you to hang out too!
Would you like to feel like a true Aussie? We thought you might mate! Enjoy a lesson with an instructor and have a fun time with your surfboard catching the waves. *Usually at the iconic Bondi Beach.
4-Day Orientation on the Great Barrier Reef
Talk about an amazing orientation! Spend 4 days learning about the environmental and cultural beauty that Australia has to offer in the Great Barrier Reef. Whether you spend your time snorkeling or exploring the rain forest, you won’t leave Cairns without some unbelievable photos and memories!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: If you’re travelling to a non-English speaking country, always make “Thank you!” the first thing you learn how to say in the local language. You’ll put a smile on the locals’ faces, and as you travel to more and more places you’ll be amazed at how many languages you can speak (well, at least speak a few words of).
Just spent the last five months studying abroad in Sydney, Australia and had the most life changing semester! I had heaps of fun during the first weekend orientation thanks to the wonderful team there and got to meet such an outstanding group of people that I know I will stay in touch with a handful of them for life. Thank you CISabroad for helping create the best semester of my life and for giving me the travel bug because I know my adventures don’t end here!
Application DeadlineNovember 1ArrivalFebruary 13OrientationCIS Abroad: February 13-16 | Macquarie University: February 17Classes StartFebruary 24Classes EndJune 5; Exams: June 8-29DepartureJune 30PRICE$14,990 - $17,990Student Village Shared Room 3 Units= $14,990 Student Village Single Room 3 Units= $16,390 Student Village Shared Room 4 Units= $16,590 Student Village Single Room 4 Units= $17,990
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalJuly 22 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 26 (Estimated)PRICE$14,990 - $17,990 (Estimated)Student Village Shared Room 3 Units= $14,990 Student Village Single Room 3 Units= $15,890 Residential College 3 Units = $16,490 Student Village Shared Room 4 Units= $16,890 Student Village Single Room 4 Units= $17,790 Residential College 3 Units = $17,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- 4 day Great Barrier Reef Excursion
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Housing (shared or single apartments)
- Medical and accident insurance
- Overseas Health Insurance (mandatory for any student studying in Australia)
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- Macquarie University orientation
- On-site support
- Internet access
- Macquarie University official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program