Explore a part of Italy that’s off the beaten path! You’ll live in Perugia, a youthful college town on a hill with deep cultural roots and walkable cobbled streets and take classes at the Umbra Institute, whose distinctive programs allow you to immerse yourself in Italian culture and learn both in and beyond the classroom. The small class sizes and close-knit community mean you’ll get personalized attention in your classes (all in one building in the center of town) and you’ll also be able to practice your Italian with local students. Level up in Italian by adding an internship to your semester!
Fall: May 15
- Umbra Institute is a locally-focused institution with a global perspective
- Enjoy various excursions, from city tours to an overnight trip out of town
- Perugia is a vibrant college town, host to world-class restaurants and a buzzing nightlife
- Choose from a shared apartment in the city center or a homestay with a local Italian family
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
The Umbra Institute is nestled between cafés, restaurants, museums, and art galleries in Perugia’s historical center. Studying at the Institute is convenient—the building houses a library, computer labs, art studios, and a student lounge. The diverse faculty and staff are well connected within the community, and you’ll enjoy small class sizes in multimedia classrooms. Your professors are dedicated to helping you have the best experience possible while in Perugia.
The Umbra Institute is ranked No. 1 for mid-sized universities in Italy, according to Censis, Centro Studi Investimenti Sociali, a socio-economic research institute. The Institute runs in coordination with Arcadia University, an AACSB-accredited university. Students will receive an Umbra Institute grade report, or they may request a transcript from the Umbra Institute school of record, Roger Williams University, for an additional fee.
Accreditation(s): Our Semester in Perugia program is located at the Umbra Institute, whose school of record is Roger Williams University, which is accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
Life in Perugia
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll take part in both the university and CIS Abroad orientation program. You’ll learn the “do’s and don’ts” of living in Perugia. Where to go out, how to stay safe, where to shop are just a few of questions that will be answered by our staff. They’ll also give you tips on how to blend in like a local. After the welcome orientation, there will be a fabulous welcome dinner at one of our favorite spots in town, featuring local seasonal products (anyone like truffles?) and local dishes.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
At the end of the program we will all get together for one last epic meal and talk about your adventures and experiences. Our staff will also share some precious tips on going back home feeling like a champ! Your study abroad experience is something to be cherished and shared with your family and friends back home.
You’ll live with up to four other Umbra students in shared apartments in Perugia’s historic center.
- A fully furnished kitchen with a fridge, stove, sink, pots, pans, cutlery, and dishes
- Sheets, blankets, and pillows included
- Some apartments also include a microwave, a full oven, a desk, a washing machine, and a television set.
You’ll love your new neighborhood, where you can get to know both the Italians and your fellow international students who live there!
A homestay option is available upon special request. Your homestay might be located further from campus than the apartments and there are a limited number of families who participate. If you’re interested, please let your program coordinator know during your application process. Please also note that this housing option has a supplement fee.
- Soccer games: Get a taste of the Italian soccer culture at one of Perugia’s games! It’s a great way to also meet other locals and also other study abroad students. Don’t forget to wear the local team jerseys!
- Local restaurants: Don’t feel like cooking or simply want to try some local specialties? Venture out to the local tiny restaurants for amazing gastronomical experiences! Don’t forget to ask our staff for recommendations!
- Medieval towns: With just a short train ride or bus ride, you can reach many of the tiny Medieval towns close to Perugia. Some of them participate in an annual contest for the most beautifully decorated town in Italy.
- Lake Trasimeno: Spend a day or an afternoon at Lake Trasimeno, a beautiful lake near Perugia boasting islands reachable by ferry. Hike the lake’s islands, admire the beautiful Umbrian hills and all that nature has to offer. Interesting fact: even though the lake is the largest one in Central Italy, it’s shallow: only about eighteen feet deep!
- Farmer’s market: Get to know the local farmers, practice your Italian and stay healthy by eating fresh, seasonal products!
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Pompeii, Naples and Amalfi Coast
To get the full experience of the famous buried city of Pompeii, take a guided tour of the ruins. From there, head to the dramatic and stunningly beautiful Amalfi Coast, which looks over the Mediterranean Sea from its rocky shores. Included is a ferry ride for a day trip to the stunning island of Capri. Finally, shop in local stores and dine at famous pizzerias in Naples.
Umbrian Lunch & Truffle Tasting
Enjoy a traditional meal at one of the most popular local taverns. The meal is inspired by truffles, a decadent and rare mushroom that only grows in a few parts of the world. Truffles are one of the most expensive food items, and you can try them paired with local produce, cheese, wines, and meats.
This festival is as delicous as it sounds. You’ll taste incredible handmade chocolates and chocolate drinks, and you’ll attend chocolate workshops to learn the art of making this decadent treat from some of the most famous manufacturers around the world. (Fall Only)
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Try that strange-looking food. Learn to navigate the city with public transportation. Interact with the locals. Pushing through what can sometimes be uncomfortable situations can be the best way to experience a culture and eventually feel at home in it.
Travel Tip: Never forget to pack an open mind, a lot of patience, a couple of snacks from home to cure homesickness and last but not least…serenity. Once in town, LOOK UP when walking around. Take a different route to class everyday. Live, love and accept your destination!
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalAugust 28DepartureDecember 18PRICE$16,990 - $20,890Direct Enrollment University for Foreigners: $16,990 General Studies: $19,390 *There may be additional fees for specialized studies Roger Williams University Transcript Fee: $500
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalJanuary 8 (Estimated)DepartureApril 30 (Estimated)PRICE$16,990 - $19,890 (Estimated)Direct Enrollment University for Foreigners: $16,990 General Studies: $19,890 *There may be additional fees for specialized studies Roger Williams University Transcript Fee: $500
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalJanuary 10OrientationJanuary 11-12Classes StartJanuary 13Classes EndApril 30DepartureMay 1PRICE$16,990 - $19,890Direct Enrollment University for Foreigners: $16,990 General Studies: $19,890 *There may be additional fees for specialized studies Roger Williams University Transcript Fee: $500
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Housing (apartment or flat)
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- Umbra Institute orientation
- Local Excursions, and one overnight excursion
- On-site support
- Umbra Institute Transcript (Roger Williams University transcripts available upon request – extra fees apply)
- La Vida Local cultural program