Situated steps away from the heart of the city, the University of Melbourne provides the perfect backdrop for a once-in-a-lifetime overseas study experience. With prestigious academics and a lively social community housed on a bustling campus, it’s a great base to explore the edgy and cosmopolitan city of Melbourne – always on the front lines of culture, arts, music, sports, and food.
Fall: April 15
- #1-ranked university in Australia and #33 in the world
- Vibrant hub of style, sport, and culture
- Distinguished professors, including Nobel Laureates and Rhodes Scholars
- Official University of Melbourne DIGITAL Transcript
- AACSB-accredited business school
- Central housing within walking distance to campus
- Easy access to fabulous street art and famous beaches
- Host of world-famous sporting events, including the Australian Open (tennis) and Melbourne Cup (horse racing)
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
The University of Melbourne is the perfect setting for a once-in-a-lifetime study abroad experience. The University has a strong academic and social community set on an urban campus located just minutes from the city center. You’ll join more than 45,000 students from around the globe. The institution is ranked #1 in Australia and #33 in the world by the London Times Higher Education rankings.
The University campus is located within a bustling area of the city and is surrounded by student housing. You can stroll to the Queen Victoria Market, famed Lygon Street’s shops, restaurants, and pubs. Jump on the tram for a few minutes to reach the central business district. Another 25 minutes on the tram and you’ll arrive at St. Kilda’s beach, Melbourne’s most famous beach.
Academically speaking, the University boasts numerous renowned researchers and industry leaders who are internationally recognized for their achievements. You’ll have the unique opportunity to learn from faculty who are leaders in business, government, and the community. As a member of Australia’s Group of Eight (similar to the US Ivy League), University of Melbourne offers a range of academic areas in which you can study, including arts and humanities, architecture, business, engineering and social sciences.
Accredited by the Department of Education and Training, Australia. Also accredited by CPA Australia; Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA); Australian Computer Society (ACS); Engineers Australia; European Foundation for Management Development; Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) (EFMD-EQUIS)
Beginning effective January 1, 2020, all CIS Abroad returning transcripts from institutions in Australia will be completely digital. This will mean no physical copies of transcripts will be mailed for this program.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
Life in Melbourne
Welcome and Orientation
Your program will kick off with the action-packed and engaging CISabroad Adventure Orientation. This 4 day/3 night orientation will provide you with an amazing introduction to Australia’s culture, wildlife, and natural environments. We’ll be on our feet (and in the water) much of the time, visiting places like the rainforest, indigenous communities, and the Great Barrier Reef. You’ll also get to do things we know you came a long way to do, like holding koalas, snorkeling, and feeding kangaroos.
This active and engaging orientation program isn’t just one big adventure, however! We’ll also gather around to discuss program and behavioral expectations, touching on topics such as culture, slang, food, and where to go and what to do when you settle into your new home in Melbourne.
Once you’re settled in Melbourne, you’ll also get an orientation at your new campus to help you get adjusted to your new campus and home in Melbourne.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to Australia.
One of the best features of the Semester in Melbourne – University of Melbourne program is the housing. You’ll live within walking distance to both the campus and downtown Melbourne. And the city’s amazing public transportation system is right at your doorstep so you can easily venture to hip suburban neighborhoods or relaxing beaches.
The apartments include communal study rooms, cooking facilities (including outdoor barbecues!), a TV lounge, and an indoor gym. When the weather is right, you’ll even have access to a heated pool! You’ll usually share a room (singles may be available on request for an additional charge), which are well equipped. Each apartment has a private bathroom, beds, study desk, dresser, refrigerator, stove top, microwave, and TV. There is wifi throughout the building.
- Old Melbourne Gaol: Spend a few hours and learn about early settlers in Australia. The gaol provides a good insight into Australian history, you even have the chance to be “arrested' and encounter what it's like to be locked up.
- Sports events: Melbourne is the unofficial sporting capital of Australia. No matter when you are there you can find something to watch or play – be in Australian Football League, cricket, soccer, basketball, horse racing, netball, tennis or wakeboarding.
- Café culture: Australians take their coffee seriously and in Melbourne, coffee is king. Some might say an obsession - yes Melburnians do coffee better than most of the world.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Taking the tram from the city to St Kilda on a perfect beach day (or even a not-so-perfect day) is always on the hit list. After a dip, discover the phenomenal old German cake shops, where your day will get a tad bit sweeter.
Melbourne Cricket Grounds
The Cricket Ground (MCG) is unquestionably the most famous sporting venue in Melbourne. You’ll either tour the venue or catch a live AFL game, plus have the chance to check out to the National Sports Museum. It’s a must see in Melbourne, even for non-sports lovers!
4-Day Orientation on the Great Barrier Reef
Talk about an amazing orientation! Spend 4 days learning about the environmental and cultural beauty that Australia has to offer in the Great Barrier Reef. Whether you spend your time snorkeling or exploring the rain forest, you won’t leave Cairns without some unbelievable photos and memories!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: Be exactly where you are, enjoy each moment as it comes without comparing it to any other place because every destination brings along its own uniqueness and authenticity. Embrace that even though it may be strange at the start. Traveling helps you find yourself and pieces of yourself you didn’t know you were missing.
Application DeadlineNovember 1ArrivalFebruary 17OrientationCIS Abroad: February 17-20 | University of Melbourne: February 21-28Classes StartMarch 2Classes EndMay 31; Exams: June 9-26DepartureJune 27 - 29 (Upon completion of exams and by June 29 move-out)PRICE$22,390
Application DeadlineApril 15ArrivalJuly 29 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 22 (Estimated)PRICE$22,390 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- 4-day CIS Abroad Adventure Orientation in Cairns
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Medical and accident insurance
- Overseas Health Insurance (mandatory for any student studying in Australia)
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- University of Melbourne orientation
- Student union and club fees
- On-site support
- Internet connection
- University of Melbourne official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program