Experience Spain’s largest city with all the benefits of a small, supportive campus community of both local and international students. Prepare for a socially and culturally immersive experience in the “college town” within the larger, vibrant city of Madrid. Your cozy campus base will be Madrid’s Universidad Antonio de Nebrija, a private university with a strong campus culture of academic quality, social integration, and student support. You’ll be able to choose courses from all levels of Spanish language, literature, and culture, as well as a variety of English electives to provide additional insights into your new home in Spain and to fulfill your academic requirements.
Fall: May 15
Spring Intensive Language: October 15
Spring: November 1
- Intimate campus community located in the heart of the city
- Numerous extracurricular activities and student clubs, including the International Club
- 10-minute walk to the city center
- Advanced language classes to strengthen your Spanish
- Optional internship program for an additional fee
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
With the Universidad Antonio de Nebrija’s centrally located international campus, the heart of Madrid is only a ten-minute walk away. You can easily explore the city as you study. Your courses will be just as exciting as the city itself. You can pick from five areas of studies, and you can also choose to take classes in English or Spanish. Courses are offered in a variety of fields, from business to art to women’s studies.
At Nebrija, you’ll meet Spanish students and other international students from around the world. The university plans many excursions so you can get to know your new city and the rest of the country. Excursions often include Toledo, Salamanca, and Segovia. A fantastic new-student orientation will help you easily transition to living in Spain.
On campus, you’ll have access to the library, a beautiful terrace, a computer lab with free wifi, and the cafeteria. Join one or more of the many clubs and international organizations on campus to meet new people and deepen your connection with Madrid. Clubs and activities include language exchanges, workshops on public speaking or intercultural communications, and welcome parties, dinners, and games.
Accreditation(s): Ministry of Education and Science.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
1-2 CLASSES IN
Life in Madrid
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll take part in both the university and CISabroad orientation program. You’ll learn the “do’s and don’ts” of life in Spain, like how to get around by public transportation, how to stay safe, what to do in case of an emergency and who to contact if you have any questions. We’ll also tell you all about our favorite places in town (restaurants, museums, markets, etc). Oh, and you’ll join in on a welcome meal, something traditional and yummy (ever tried Spanish Tortilla?) so that you can start to taste the local flavor.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of your farewell to Spain.
CIS Abroad Semester in Madrid at Universidad Antonio de Nebrija students can choose apartments or homestays.
- CIS Abroad students live with other study abroad, international, and Spanish students in a community living space, with six to fourteen rooms per student residence
- Two meals included a day
- A great option to experience Spanish culture while also working on your Spanish language skills. Get fully immersed and learn what it’s like to live like a local.
- Visit to the Royal Palace: Located right in the center of the city, this stunning monument has over 2500 rooms! Walk through the palace grounds and get the feel for how kings and queens used to enjoy their private life.
- Flamenco cultural show: Spain is the birthplace of the rich, passionate art form of Flamenco. Learn about this traditional Spanish cultural performance and even get a chance to try your own skills!
- Wine Tasting: To say Spain is well-known for their wine is an understatement! Come taste the flavors of Spanish geography from wine regions such as Rioja or Ribera.
- Visit to Santiago Bernabeu football stadium: Take a tour of the place where the legendary David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo play for Real Madrid. The Spanish love their futbol!
- Madrid de los Austrias: Through funny anecdotes and stories we will review a time period of Madrid which can still be reflected in many of its streets and spaces; the reign of the Habsburgs.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Museo Del Prado
Spain’s impressive national art museum is based on the former Spanish Royal Collection. It features one of the world’s finest collections of European art, dating from the 12th century to the early 19th century.
Explore this picturesque millenary city located just outside Madrid, where a stunning Roman aqueduct still stands.
Visit a traditional city in Spain. A tour introduces you to the city’s history, architecture, and unique culture. You’ll spend the night, giving you an excellent chance to explore the city on your own.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Start walking and don’t be afraid to get lost, that is how you begin to understand your surroundings. If the culture is slow – be slow! Take hours to enjoy a coffee and connect with a friend. If the pace is fast, jump in! Be patient with yourself as you adjust. Start a journal and write everything down. It’s incredible to look back and remind yourself of who you were at a time of growth and discovery!
Travel Tip: Slow down! Before jet setting off to multiple countries, take time to get to know the place you decided to call home for the next few months. The best travel experiences occur when you meet locals and learn about activities that aren’t in your guidebook.
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalSeptember 13OrientationSeptember 13Classes StartSeptember 14Classes EndDecember 17DepartureDecember 18PRICE$12,590 - $15,590Apartment: $12,590 Homestay: $13,590 Study/Intern - Apartment: $14,590 Study/Intern - Homestay: $15,590
Fall 2020: Intensive Language
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalAugust 31OrientationAugust 31Classes StartSeptember 1Classes EndDecember 17DepartureDecember 18PRICE$13,990 - $14,990Apartment: $13,990 Homestay: $14,990
Application DeadlineNovember 1ArrivalJanuary 31 (Estimated)DepartureMay 19 (Estimated)PRICE$12,590 - $15,590 (Estimated)Apartment: $12,590 Homestay: $13,590 Study/Intern - Apartment: $14,590 Study/Intern - Homestay: $15,590
Spring 2021: Intensive Language
Application DeadlineOctober 15ArrivalJanuary 4 (Estimated)DepartureMay 19 (Estimated)PRICE$13,990 - $14,990 (Estimated)Apartment: $13,990 Homestay: $14,990
Application DeadlineNovember 1ArrivalFebruary 2OrientationFebruary 3Classes StartFebruary 5Classes EndMay 19DepartureMay 20PRICE$12,590 - $15,590Apartment: $12,590 Homestay: $13,590 Study/Intern - Apartment: $14,590 Study/Intern - Homestay: $15,590
Spring 2020: Intensive Language
Application DeadlineOctober 15ArrivalJanuary 6OrientationJanuary 7Classes StartJanuary 7Classes EndMay 19DepartureMay 20PRICE$13,990 - $14,990Apartment: $13,990 Homestay: $14,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Orientation to Madrid’s cultural highlights and excellent transportation system
- Transportation card
- Airport shuttle to and from airport
- Day trips to locations such as Toledo, Salamanca, and Segovia
- Guided day trips to places like the Royal Palace, Spanish Parliament, and major museums around the city.
- Cultural and recreational excursions and activities in Madrid
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Housing in shared residence or apartment
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- On-site support
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Official Universidad de Nebrija transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program