Live in Quito, the highest capital in the world, while studying with international students at a prestigious private university. Your host city Quito sits 9,000 feet above sea level and is a high-altitude haven for all things fun. On Semester in Ecuador, you’ll take in its markets, cultural sights, and gorgeous colonial architecture. Nearby, mountains, beaches, jungles, and crater lakes beckon you. During your program, you’ll be based at Universidad Internacional del Ecuador, an internationally accredited university. You can improve your Spanish through both language and elective courses taught in Spanish as you embrace this dazzling country.
Spring: October 15
- Wander through the streets of Quito on a Ciclopaseo city bike ride
- Courses taught in both Spanish and English
- Only a short flight away from the Galapagos Islands
- The thrilling Teleférico, a ride that gives you a view of the city atop a volcano
- Discover the vibrant art and indigenous culture of Ecuador at the many artisan markets and open-air art shows in Quito
- Add on: Rainforest excursion
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
UIDE is an internationally accredited private university located in the heart of modern Quito. Its 36-hectare sustainable campus earned it a place in the International Sustainable Campus Network, among only 4 other South American institutions of higher education.
International students usually take advantage of UIDE’s extensive sports offering, ranging from horse riding and paintball to salsa classes. Find out more by downloading our campus guide.
UIDE offers classes with a maximum of 25 students to ensure personalized assistance for foreign students.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Pichincha Volcano (by cable car)
Take a cable car 12,943 feet up to enjoy a magnificent view of Quito. You can walk through the paramo (high mountain vegetation), where there’s a cool but enjoyable breeze.
Otavalo Indigenous Market and Cuicocha Lake
Visit one of the biggest and most colorful indigenous markets in Latin America, where you can buy traditional trinkets and eat delicious local food. Plus, take a boat ride in Cuicocha Lake, which is at the foot of a volcano.
Hike down to the historic crater lake and ride donkeys back up to the top, while admiring the spectacular view!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When in doubt, reach out! More often than not, locals will respect and respond matching the effort that you put into communication. Practice makes perfect, and leaving your comfort zone means expanding your comfort zone!
Travel Tip: Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world and home to 14 different indigenous nationalities. Be prepared to experience new landscapes, aromas, tastes, sounds and people. Respect the places and the people you will be with and never stop learning!
Application DeadlineOctober 15ArrivalJanuary 31OrientationFebruary 1Classes StartFebruary 3Classes EndJune 12DepartureJune 13PRICE$12,390
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalAugust 9 (Estimated)DepartureDecember 4 (Estimated)PRICE$12,390 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup
- On-site support
- On-campus internet access
- Weekly laundry
- An optional 4-day Amazon trip to Tiputini Biodiversity Station
- Three full day excursions over the semester
- University official transcript
- University orientation
- La Vida Local cultural program