Spend a semester or year studying at Universidad San Francisco de Quito, a top-notch university. You’ll have the chance to improve your Spanish through both language and elective courses taught in Spanish. The University’s broad range of courses mirrors Ecuador’s inspiring ethnic and natural diversity, from the pristine beaches of the coast, to the culturally rich Sierra region, to the lush Amazonian jungle. What you can see and do in one day is impressive, so just imagine what a semester will provide!
Spring: October 1
EXTENDED! New Date: October 18
- Live in one of the world's most biologically diverse countries
- Enjoy a blend of old and new in Quito - a modern city nestled among Spanish colonial architecture
- Vibrant street culture - parades, festivals, street performances and open air cafes
- Grove to a unique Latin-Andean beat
- Enjoy a spring-like climate year-round
- Exceptional adventure opportunities: beaches, islands, jungles, volcanoes, mountains
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) is an academic powerhouse that ranks as the top university in Ecuador, according to the 2016 QS University Rankings. You’ll receive an excellent education in a stunning location.
USFQ is a modern university nestled in the beautiful suburbs of Quito. The University employs over half of the PhDs in all of Ecuador. USFQ is well known for its environmental and biological advances, social justice mission, community-service focus, and hands-on academic studies. The nearly 6,000 undergraduates come from 40-plus countries. Even during the summer, there are over 1,000 students from across the globe. You’ll certainly make an international network of friends.
Universidad San Francisco de Quito has a U.S.-style campus, with wireless access, gardens, and areas for yoga, soccer, and pottery. It also boasts the largest library in Ecuador. There are many food options on campus, including a student-run dining hall and bakery. Once off campus, you’ll find many other stores, including a mall, coffee shops, and restaurants.
Accreditation: Ecuadorian Council of Evaluation and Accreditation of High Education
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
3-7 CLASSES IN
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Pichincha Volcano (by cable car)
Take a cable car 12,943 feet up to enjoy a magnificent view of Quito. You can walk through the paramo (high mountain vegetation), where there’s a cool but enjoyable breeze.
Otavalo Indigenous Market and Cuicocha Lake
Visit one of the biggest and most colorful indigenous markets in Latin America, where you can buy traditional trinkets and eat delicious local food. Plus, take a boat ride in Cuicocha Lake, which is at the foot of a volcano.
Hike down to the historic crater lake and ride donkeys back up to the top, while admiring the spectacular view!
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When in doubt, reach out! More often than not, locals will respect and respond matching the effort that you put into communication. Practice makes perfect, and leaving your comfort zone means expanding your comfort zone!
Travel Tip: Ecuador is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world and home to 14 different indigenous nationalities. Be prepared to experience new landscapes, aromas, tastes, sounds and people. Respect the places and the people you will be with and never stop learning!
Application DeadlineOctober 1 EXTENDED! New Date: October 18ArrivalJanuary 8OrientationJanuary 9-13Classes StartJanuary 13Classes EndMay 9DepartureMay 10PRICE$14,990-$15,590
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalAugust 12 (Estimated)DepartureDecember 17 (Estimated)PRICE$14,990-$15,590 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pickup
- On-site support
- On-campus internet access
- Weekly laundry
- Homestay accommodations with two meals per day
- An optional 4-day Amazon trip to Tiputini Biodiversity Station
- Three full day excursions over the semester
- University official transcript
- University orientation
- La Vida Local cultural program