Hone your studies while living in lovely Adelaide, South Australia’s capital and consistently ranked one of world’s most livable cities. Despite counting more than a million people, Adelaide maintains an easy pace and down-to-earth feel. You’ll study at The University of Adelaide, a top global university and member of the Group of Eight, Australia’s “Ivy League.” The University’s main campus is in the heart of the city, which abounds with art, culture, and cuisine. As a CIS Aabroad student, you’ll spend a semester cultivating world-class knowledge, one-of-a-kind experiences, and friendships with local Aussies and students from around the world!
Fall: June 1
- Study and socialize at The University of Adelaide's main campus, with an active campus life and the city at its doorstep.
- Official University of Adelaide DIGITAL Transcript
- Embed among 21,000+ students, from over 100 countries.
- Enjoy a 4-day 3-night orientation in Cairns: includes Great Barrier Reef, Rainforest, and Aboriginal cultural activities - a CIS Abroad exclusive!
- Choose from hundreds of course offerings, including local topics such as Wine Studies, Aboriginal Studies, and Ecotourism.
- Stroll around orderly Adelaide, replete with idyllic parks, pristine plazas, and countless shops and restaurants.
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
With more than 140 years of excellence in education, the University of Adelaide is one of Australia’s oldest and most prestigious universities. You’ll join 25,000 students who choose the University for its academic rigor and its city location. The University of Adelaide feels like a small campus and is a member of the Group of Eight, Australia’s “Ivy League.”
The University ranks highly in Australia and the world, setting a record for “firsts.” It was the first university in Australia to admit women—and only the second in the world. It was also the first Australian university to establish a conservatory of music.
The University of Adelaide is located in the center of the city of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. The main campus sits on the edge of the central business district of the city. The campus borders the Rundle pedestrian shopping mall, the Botanical Gardens, Adelaide Zoo, and the River Torrens. It’s a short walk or public transportation ride to recreation, shopping, and nightlife.
On campus, the Hub Central will cater to your needs. The “Hub” offers a range of facilities and services to support students’ daily lives. Enjoy unique study spaces, food outlets, and academic and personal support advisors. They even have cooking facilities for students who commute to campus!
Accredited by the Department of Education and Training, Australia; CPA Australia; Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA); Australian Computer Society (ACS); Engineers Australia; Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Beginning effective January 1, 2020, all CIS Abroad returning transcripts from institutions in Australia will be completely digital. This will mean no physical copies of transcripts will be mailed for this program.
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
8+ CLASSES IN
Life in Adelaide
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll take part in both the university and CIS Abroad city orientation program. You’ll learn the “do’s and don’ts” of living in Australia. Where to go out, how to stay safe, how to take public transport (it’s easy), where to shop are just a few of questions that will be answered by our staff. They’ll also give you tips on how to blend in like a local (get ready for a whole heap of Aussie slang you didn’t know you didn’t know!) Oh, and we’ll throw in a welcome meal, something traditional and yummy (ever had kangaroo or crocodile?) so that you can start to taste the local flavour.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights. We love to stay in touch so although it is farewell for now it is not goodbye.
You’ll live in off-campus student accommodations with shared rooms, 24 hour security, kitchenette, communal lounges, and access to on-site laundry facilities. Located in the heart of the city of Adelaide, this housing is a short walk away from the main North Terrace Campus, The University of Adelaide’s main campus, and a short 20-minute bus ride to the Waite Campus.
- Adelaide Zoo: A visit to the Adelaide Zoo is a must. And, yes, you'll meet Wang Wang and Funi, the resident pandas.
- Adelaide Oval stadium: Watch a "footy" (Australian Rules Football) match at the famous Adelaide Oval stadium.
- Adelaide Hills: Try out some of Australia's most famous wines with a day trip to the Adelaide Hills and the many wineries that dot the countryside.
- Central Market: Spend a morning shopping and eating at the Central Market. Give kangaroo a try!
- the Coast: When it gets hot, head to one of the many beaches on the Coast, the most popular being Glenelg.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
4-Day Orientation on the Great Barrier Reef
Talk about an amazing orientation! Spend 4 days learning about the environmental and cultural beauty that Australia has to offer in the Great Barrier Reef. Whether you spend your time snorkeling or exploring the rain forest, you won’t leave Cairns without some unbelievable photos and memories!
Australian Football League (AFL)
Cheer on the local team at an Australian Football League (AFL) game in Adelaide! Borrow a jersey from a classmate and learn the proper cheers. AFL features only Australian teams. (Subject to season or other sports game.)
National Wine Centre Tour
The National Wine Centre is the showcase for Australia’s wine industry. Experience the winemaking process from the vine to the bottle, participate in a tasting tour, and explore the stunning architecture.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: Stay flexible and open minded during your travels. Though the greatest of all plans can go awry, it’s these unexpected moments – good or bad – that help you grow and find new sides of yourself. Your travel experiences are an advantage, so use them and the skills you’ve learnt along the way to sell yourself and nab that dream job!
Application DeadlineOctober 15ArrivalFebruary 13OrientationCIS Abroad: February 13-16 | International Students: February 19-21; University of Adelaide: February 24-28Classes StartMarch 2Classes EndJune 12; Exams: June 20-July 4DepartureJuly 5PRICE$16,990 - $18,7903 courses - $16,990 4 courses - $18,790
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJuly 17 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 24 (Estimated)PRICE$16,990 - $18,790 (Estimated)Price varies based on number of courses taken
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- 4-day, 3-night orientation which includes a day on the Great Barrier Reef and a tour of the rainforest
- University of Adelaide official transcript
- On site staff assistance
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Medical and accident insurance
- Overseas Health Insurance (mandatory for any student studying in Australia)
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- University of Adelaide orientation
- Internet connection
- La Vida Local cultural program