CIS Abroad PROGRAM PROTECTION
We understand there’s a lot going on in the world right now – and it just keeps changing. How can you manage to make your study or intern abroad plans amid so much uncertainty? We get it, and we want to make it possible for every student to make the right individual decision and have an incredible experience abroad.
That’s why we offer our CIS Abroad Program Protection to every student no matter the location – for all Summer 2020, Fall 2020, January 2021, and Spring 2021 programs!
What are the benefits of CIS Abroad’s Program Protection?
1. More time to make your right call.
On future program terms, we are extending deadlines for Summer and Fall 2020 as much as possible to make this decision an easy one. For all programs, there’ll come a point where we need students to make a final decision and commit to their program, but we are delaying that decision date as far out as we can before payment is due.
2. Flexible deferral options for the unexpected.
CIS Abroad knows how important it is to be able to make changes to your program in these uncertain times. If you choose to defer your program to a future term before the program deadlines, any deposits and documents you’ve already submitted will carry over to your new application. You can also carry any awarded CIS Abroad scholarships or grants with you to your future term. Your Program Enrollment Coordinator can guide you through a deferral.
3. Refund of all recoverable expenses.
If and when a program is suspended or cancelled for any reason, CIS Abroad will always recoup and refund you any recoverable* costs. Whether due to your home university policy or if CIS Abroad must cancel a program for health and safety reasons, our team works hard to make sure you get back any funds that have not already been committed to your experience abroad. Your $90 application deposit is non-refundable, as it goes toward making sure our staff are always there to help you – we love our team and we know you do, too! Please talk with your CIS Advisor about what we can do for you.
While there’s no guaranteed ability to provide remote coursework via the overseas host institution, CIS Abroad will be working closely with the U.S. university education abroad offices to help support students in transition in whatever ways possible.
REFUND POLICY FOR VOLUNTARY WITHDRAWALS
Because CIS Abroad makes financial commitments on behalf of our participants well in advance of the program start date, refunds can only be made in accordance with the terms listed below.
A participant who withdraws voluntarily will receive the following refund:
- Withdrawing more than 60 days prior to program start: Refund of all fees paid less your $90 application deposit, any program or internship deposits, and any bank fees paid.
- Withdrawing between 30-60 days prior to program start: Refund of all recoverable fees paid less your $90 application deposit, any program or internship deposits, and bank fees paid.
- Withdrawing less than 30 days prior to program start: No refund.
- Note: All voluntary withdrawals must be made in writing to CIS Abroad.
- In the case of serious documented illness, all recoverable costs* will be refunded, less any program deposits. Any serious illness that causes a participant to withdraw must be documented by a licensed U.S. physician with notification sent to CIS Abroad.
- Please note that the $90 application deposit is nonrefundable. CIS Abroad policy allows students to make a one-time change to their program or term before an additional application deposit is due.
- If and when a program is suspended or cancelled for any reason, CIS Abroad will always recoup and refund you any recoverable* costs. Whether due to your home university policy or if CIS Abroad must cancel a program for health and safety reasons, our team works hard to make sure you get back any funds that have not already been committed to your experience abroad. Your $90 application deposit is non-refundable, as it goes toward making sure our staff are always there to help you – we love our team and we know you do, too! Please talk with your CIS Advisor about what we can do for you.
In the case of expulsion from the host institution or deportation from the host country, or any other withdrawal that is a result of a participant’s breach of the CIS Abroad code of conduct, no refund will be given.
*”What funds are recoverable?” Costs are incurred throughout the lifecycle of a study abroad experience – pre-departure, while on site and post-completion. Additionally, many of our partners require payments up front. While we work to create the most flexible terms we possibly can, each partner has their own refund policies. If the costs for your program upon withdrawal/cancellation have already been realized on resources that cannot be recovered, or if a partner’s refund policy does not allow for the return of the full pre-paid fee, we may be limited in our ability in what we can recover.