Gain great experience teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) while living in vibrant Chiang Mai, Thailand during the summer! You’ll observe other TEFL teachers, enjoy insights from mentors, and even take the lead as teacher when you’re prepared for it. To complement your in-classroom experience, you’ll also take online TEFL courses that will award you a TEFL certificate and credentials to land a paid job! Rounding out this comprehensive hybrid online/in-person TEFL course are excursions, social and cultural activities, housing, staff support, professional development, and more.
Online TEFL Certificate: 120 Hours
Chiang Mai Classroom Experience: 40+ Hours
- Live in Chiang Mai, recently voted the world's second-best city and full of charm and adventure
- Explore Chiang Mai and the rest of vibrant and diverse Thailand through program activities and in your free time
- Split your time between in-person learning and teaching experience in Chiang Mai and an online TEFL Certificate course
- Enjoy a comprehensive program with support, housing, professional development, excursions, social and cultural activities, and more
Connect with your Global Advisor to start planning. Apply by the application deadline.
Meet your Program Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, payments, etc. Attend a pre-departure orientation.
Fly away. You'll be greeted at the airport, participate in a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Life in Chiang Mai
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll take part in a comprehensive orientation program. You’ll learn the “do’s and don’ts” of living in Chiang Mai. Where to go out, how to stay safe, where the shops and markets are, how to get around, and the likes will be among the topics covered in our orientation. In the afternoon you will participate in the Thai Cultural values training, where staff will cover the differences in working and communication style between Thailand and the West.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
At the end of the program we will all get together for one last epic meal and talk about your adventures and experiences. Our staff will also share some precious tips on going back home feeling like a champ! Your study abroad experience is something to be cherished and shared with your family and friends back home.
Participants will live in double rooms in centrally-located hotel-style apartments. Among the amenities are TV, air conditioning, Wifi, and a small refrigerator.
- Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep: Chiang Mai’s most holy temple, constructed on the side of the mountain after an elephant carrying a relic of the Buddha died there. This beautiful temple is a must visit for Thai and foreigners alike.
- Sunday Walking Street Market: Chiang Mai’s biggest attraction, people from all over the region converge on the old city to sell homemade and unique northern style clothes, jewelry, art and other amazing souvenirs.
- Elephant Programs: Spend some time with these amazing animals and learn about efforts to look after them.
- Trekking: Chiang Mai is known for the surrounding mountains and their hilltribes that you can visit in a sensitive and responsible way for a truly unique and insightful experience.
- Thai Cooking Class: Enjoy a lesson about Thai herbs and vegetables, take a visit to a market to learn the names ,and then make several delicious dishes of your choosing.
More About Chiang Mai
Known to Thais as the "Rose of the North," Chiang Mai is a breathtaking city surrounded by mountains and bisected by the Ping River. Visitors flock to experience the cosmopolitan atmosphere and delicious food unique to the region, and to venture out into the imposing mountains. The city resides on an elevated plateau approximately 1,000 feet above sea level.
Recently voted the world's second-best city, Chiang Mai has a rich history and culture. Chiang Mai is home to 150,000 people, with a greater metropolitan population of around one million. This city has 700 years of ancient history and was a prominent place as the heart of Lanna culture. The fortressed Old City center was the former capital of the Lanna kingdom. This is one of the few cities in the world that still features an intact moat, which encircles the Old City. You'll notice that the common mode of transport is to ride a songtaew (pronounced "song- tau"), or red truck-taxi. You'll feel like a local as you zip around the streets.
From Chiang Mai, you can explore the mountains and visit hilltribe villages, learn to cook Thai food, ride elephants, or go bamboo rafting. Other popular activities include hiking in Doi Inthanon National Park (home of Thailand's tallest mountain), savoring tasty street food, enjoying the nightlife, and witnessing the city's many festivals and cultural celebrations.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
This 2 day trip to Bangkok covers both the old and new City of Angels. See the center of Bangkok’s massive Chinatown, visit the Temple of a 5 ton golden buddha that was lost for almost 200 years, experience the center of bustling metropolitan Bangkok, and much more!
CISabroad participants will enjoy a day of friendly appreciation of elephants at one of Thailand’s most respected elephant sanctuaries. You’ll learn about the sanctuary’s role in the protection of these great creatures, and maybe even get to take a swim with them!
Thai Cooking Class
During this excursion you will learn all about Thai fruits, vegetable, and herbs, visit the market and learn about the different ingredients and then make 5 dishes of your own from scratch.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Leave everything you think you know about traveling, the country, culture, or people, behind you! You’ll most likely be surprised, so discover everything as new. Take public transportation and make friends with locals- they will show you the best places and usually hook you up. Most of all, stay present and enjoy! 🙂
Travel Tip: Looking for a cool and exciting way to explore Bangkok? The whole city used to be based around canals, so jumping on a boat gives you a way to get out of the traffic and experience the real Bangkok.
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJune 14DepartureJuly 27PRICE$3,190
CISabroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Orientation in Chiang Mai
- Intro to Thai language during orientation
- Multiple excursions
- Online 120 Hour TEFL Certificate
- 40+ Hours of observing, shadowing, and teaching English language learners in classrooms
- Exchange with teachers in Chiang Mai from other countries to learn about their experience
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- NYTimes Digital Subscription
- La Vida Local cultural program