Head to fascinating Prague, Czech Republic for an eye-opening winter break study abroad program! You can expect a near lifetime of cultural and academic learning, making your classroom not only in one of the oldest universities in the world, but extending to the stimulating streets of Prague. Choose among a variety of courses designed to give you local insights into what makes Prague so special while also enjoying a nice escape and earning some extra credits over winter break. While the duration of this program may seem short, you can expect to make the most of your time with abundant social and cultural activities, excursions, and support and advice from our local staff.
- Get ahead with 3 credits plus a lifetime of non-academic learning
- Enjoy exceptional staff support that will help you settle in and make the most of your time
- Study locally focused subjects for additional context and insights into Prague
- Live in campus dorms near Prague Castle with easy access to top destinations both near and far
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
WHY THIS UNIVERSITY?
Located in the heart of beautiful Prague, Charles University is one of the oldest universities in the world (founded in 1348) and the top-ranked university in the Czech Republic. Nearly 50,000 students are enrolled in more than 300 accredited degree programmes. Renowned for its commitment to research, Charles University can boast a number of outstanding research teams which are involved in close collaboration with international research institutions. Students can also become involved in the University’s research work at each of the individual faculties.
Outside of the classroom, students can take advantage of the college’s 30+ student associations (including drama and music societies) and participate in several city-wide sports competitions alongside their Czech peers. There’s an annual team marathon, a rowing and an ice hockey competition between the city’s universities, a summer sports program for students with disabilities, and more. For those looking to sit back and relax, check out the Tuesday night film screenings in the Blue Auditorium and get sneak peeks at films before their official release!
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COURSESNow the fun part! You get to pick the courses you will take abroad. Review the course information on this page. Once you’ve decided which courses you want to take, fill out the CISabroad Course Selection Worksheet in your online portal.
COURSE APPROVALMake sure to talk with your home university about course approval and get additional classes approved before you go abroad. For example, if you are taking 4 classes abroad, we recommend getting 8 approved. This gives you some flexibility in setting up your class schedule. Think about courses required for your major, but also courses that fulfill your elective requirements.
GPA REQUIREMENTIf you find your GPA is lower than the requirement listed at the top of this page, do not despair! Get in touch to let us know your situation. In many cases, there are additional application materials that you can submit to make your case for acceptance.
1-2 CLASSES IN
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Try that strange-looking food. Learn to navigate the city with public transportation. Interact with the locals. Pushing through what can sometimes be uncomfortable situations can be the best way to experience a culture and eventually feel at home in it.
Travel Tip: Whether ordering from an open air stall or a restaurant, always remember to say good day (dobrý den) and thank you (děkuji). Czechs will welcome your effort and will be more helpful and perhaps even give you a smile.
CIS Abroad and our site director were constantly planning fun events for us in between our travels so there was never a dull moment! CIS Abroad provided me with so many great memories and experiences from abroad that I will never forget. My experience in the Czech Republic was truly a once in a lifetime experience that I will forever be grateful for! Thank you!
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalDecember 27OrientationDecember 28Classes StartJanuary 2Classes EndJanuary 16DepartureJanuary 18PRICE$3,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in U.S. dollars and include the following:
- Full-time tuition and fees
- Medical and accident insurance
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Predeparture orientation
- Airport pickup
- Survival Czech language seminar
- On-site support
- Day trips in and around Prague
- 30-day transportation pass
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Charles University official transcript
- La Vida Local cultural program