Spend your January Term earning 3 credits while traveling throughout Barcelona, Seville and Madrid! With individualized attention and professors who use each city as their classroom, this program incorporates visits and field studies related to your subject. Students can choose from our Peoples of Spain (Cultural Diversity) OR our Food & Culture courses to earn a total of 3 credits in just under 3 weeks.
What to Expect:
Language: English and Spanish
Average Courseload: 3 U.S. Credits
GPA Requirement: 2.5
Visa Requirements: NONE Required!
- Unique visits and field studies related to your subject
- Earn 3 credits in 3 weeks
- Each city is your classroom as you travel throughout Spain
Barcelona School for International Studies
At Barcelona School for International Studies (SIS), you’ll enjoy innovative courses in the heart of the vibrant, playful city of Barcelona. The city center is just a ten-minute walk from campus. SIS prides itself on offering unique curriculum, allowing you to fulfill courses in languages, culture, history, art, and the humanities. At SIS, you can immerse yourself in the local culture, make Spanish and international friends, and have easy access to all that Barcelona has to offer.
SIS shares its facility with a renowned language school, providing you with the opportunity to meet students from around the world. The campus is located in the Eixample district of the city, where many of Barcelona’s distinct neighborhoods are just a walk away, including the old city, La Rambla, and the Barceloneta beach.
The program focuses on immersion in the Spanish language, but mostly offers classes taught in English. Your diverse international professors are all highly qualified, and they are used to adapting their courses for study abroad students. You’ll get to enjoy the use of spacious classrooms, multimedia equipment, and other modern amenities during your time in Barcelona.
Accreditation(s): Barcelona School for International Studies is accredited by Jacksonville University.
Areas of study with fewer than 3 classes available
Don't see your major listed here? There may still be courses available. Browse our programs by major.
Now the fun part! As part of the application process you will be required to complete the CIS Abroad Course Selection Worksheet found in your CIS Abroad Application Portal.
See below for the list of courses offered. Courses will run subject to demand and adequate enrollment, so it is important to get additional alternate courses approved.
All courses are taught in English!
You’ll take one 3-credit course during your 3 week program. Choose from the following:
- The Peoples of Spain: Cultural Diversity Past & Present Spain course covers the history of the people that have settled the peninsula over the years, including linguistic and religious groups. The second part of the class will be dedicated to an in-depth analysis of the latest wave of migrants including refugee populations as well as economic migrants from the Americas, Morocco and Asia. We will address resistance to diversity, conflict, racism, antisemitism, and the imposition of cultural and religious uniformity. Professors use Barcelona, Seville and Madrid as the classroom through field studies such as visits to historic sites, diverse neighborhoods, organizations that fight racism within Spain, NGOs helping immigrants, and more. You’ll also share many field studies with the Food & Culture Course as we discover the diverse backgrounds that have contributed to today’s food culture!
- Food & Culture in the Mediterranean Basin: This course examines various aspects of the relationship between food, culture and society in the mediterranean basin, where eating is not a simple act of survival but rather a cultural and social activity. Looking at the local culture through the lens of food allows us to discover and understand social constructs, values and history. In this course we offer a cross-cultural perspective that will focus on history, anthropology, sociology, literature, gastronomy and the business that works behind the food industry.Professors use Barcelona, Seville and Madrid as the classroom through field studies looking at food production, hospitality and history impacting the foods we eat.
Apartments in Barcelona
The apartments are, on average, about a 30-45 minute commute to your classes or internship and house 4-6 students. The convenient location means you’ll have easy access to everything Barcelona has to offer, like shops, cafés, bars, museums, restaurants, and more!
Watch Bridget’s video tour of her apartment to get an idea of what your housing could be like.
See the COVID-19 Plan tab for changes to housing for the Spring 2021 semester.
You’ll get to put your CIS Abroad Barcelona cooking class skills to the test and cook your own delicious meals in the apartments’ well-equipped kitchens.
Inclusions and Amenities
- CommutePublic Transportation
- Double Room
- Kitchen Equipment
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Jacksonville University Transcript
- Day excursions to local sites
- Group field trips as part of chosen course
- CIS Abroad support services before, during, and after the program
- Academic advising
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Full-time tuition & fees
- Pre-departure and on-site orientation
During weekend trips, you might experience Flamenco and tour the beautiful Alhambra in Granada; eat Spain’s best tapas and visit wineries in Basque Country; or hike coastal trails and tour medieval villages in Costa Brava. Trips change each semester.
Your Support Staff
You’ll be supported every step of the way!
Our advising team will help match you with a program that fits your academic and personal needs. Once you have selected your program our advisor will help you complete your Online Application.
Once you’ve started your application and submitted the $90 deposit, you’ll be assigned a program enrollment coordinator who will guide you through the enrollment process to get you abroad!
Dates & Prices
ADVISOR TIP: Please WAIT to book flights until you have received confirmed dates in your acceptance paperwork. Dates posted here are subject to change.
- Application Deadline: Oct 15
- Arrival: January 3
- Departure: January 22
- Price: $5,690
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.