Develop professionally and experience the wonders of Sydney and Australia! Our Intern in Sydney program has amazing field flexibility, with internships customized to match your interests and your desired length of stay in Australia. Internships last a minimum of eight weeks, but we encourage you to stay as long as you can to absorb the “work hard, play hard” Aussie mentality. While Australians take their workday quite seriously, they’re also serious about living the good life. Join your new friends to cheer on an Aussie Rules Football match, hang out in a local pub, or snorkel the Great Barrier Reef with other interns.
Spring - Session 2: October 1
Summer - Session 1: February 1
EXTENDED! New Date: February 15
Summer - Session 2: March 1
EXTENDED! New Date: March 15
Fall - Session 1: May 1
Fall - Session 2: June 1
- Comprehensive orientation and cultural activities included
- Most affordable way to live and learn in Australia
- Work experience with Australians and people from all over the world
- Internship placement in beautiful Sydney, a bustling, cosmopolitan city
- 24/7 on-site support to help you get adjusted to life in Australia
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Below are a few sample art and design internship placements undertaken by past participants.
There are many more possibilities, as each placement is customized.
Contact an advisor to learn more!
Through our partnership with Plymouth State University, you can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed here. Alternatively, many students are able to arrange for credit through their home universities. Learn More →
Life in Sydney
Welcome and Orientation
Your program will kick off with a comprehensive orientation. You will learn more about the culture and vivacious city around you. We’ll explore some of Sydney’s countless attractions, from beaches to business districts. We’ll also sit down to discuss program and behavioral expectations, with topics such as culture, slang, and where to go and what to do when you settle into your new home in Sydney.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to Australia.
- Cockatoo Island: Take the ferry to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site in the middle of beautiful Sydney Harbour.
- Fish Markets: The largest working fish market in the southern hemisphere - open from 7am every day. Book a behind the scenes tour to see the real wholesale auction that kicks off at 5.30am.
- Chinatown and Powerhouse Museum: Find your favorite flavour of dumpling when you visit Chinatown. Then pop to the nearby Powerhouse Museum – this is an interactive museum dedicated to science, technology and design. If you want to grab some bargains you can also stop by Paddys Market!
- Hyde Park: Visit the Australian Museum (Australia’s first museum), the ANZAC memorial, St Mary’s Cathedral and Hyde Park Barracks – a good dose of Aussie culture and history.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Taking the ferry over the harbor to Manly is an experience in itself. At the beach, you can sunbathe, try paddle boarding, dine on fish and chips, or take a leisurely bush hike that will lead you to unobstructed views of glimmering water.
Sydney Tower Eye
Visit Sydney’s tallest structure and the second tallest observation tower in the Southern Hemisphere. Save this one until you know your way around the city—then head up to the observation deck to see it from above. On a clear day, you’ll be surprised what you can spot!
Milson's Point and Kirribilli
Start with a walk over the Harbour Bridge, then visit Luna Park for a bit of theme-park fun. From there, explore the Kirribilli markets for local music, fashion, and Australian trinkets.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Looking for a change of pace in Sydney? While you could certainly travel up or down the coast, consider heading into the “hinterland” by taking the train up to the Blue Mountains area. You’ll see spectacular scenery and pass through tiny, welcoming villages.
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 1 EXTENDED! New Date: February 15ArrivalMay 22DepartureJuly 18 | August 14PRICE$6,690 - $9,4908 week - Standard Double: $6,690 8 week - Deluxe Double: $7,490 12 week- Standard Double: $7,990 12 week - Deluxe Double: $9,490 *$500 supplemental fee for STEM internship placements
Summer 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineMarch 1 EXTENDED! New Date: March 15ArrivalJune 19DepartureAugust 15 | September 5PRICE$6,690 - $9,4908 week - Standard Double: $6,690 8 week - Deluxe Double: $7,490 12 week- Standard Double: $7,990 12 week - Deluxe Double: $9,490 *$500 supplemental fee for STEM internship placements
Fall 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalSeptember 4DepartureOctober 30 | November 27 | December 18PRICE$6,490 - $8,9908 Week Internship: $6,490 12 Week Internship: $7,990 15 Week Internship: $8,990 *$500 supplemental fee for engineering internship placements
Fall 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineJune 1ArrivalOctober 4DepartureNovember 20 | December 18PRICE$6,490 - $7,9908 Week Internship: $6,490 12 Week Internship: $7,990 *$500 supplemental fee for engineering internship placements
Spring 2021: Session 1
Application DeadlineSeptember 1ArrivalJanuary 8 (Estimated)DepartureMarch 6 | April 5 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,890 (Estimated)8 Week Internship: $6,690 12 Week Internship: $8,190 15 Week Internship: $8,890 *$500 supplemental fee for STEM internship placements
Spring 2021: Session 2
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalFebruary 5 (Estimated)DepartureApril 3 | May 1 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,890 (Estimated)8 Week Internship: $6,690 12 Week Internship: $8,190 15 Week Internship: $8,890 *$500 supplemental fee for STEM internship placements
Spring 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineSeptember 1ArrivalJanuary 10DepartureMarch 7 | April 4PRICE$6,690 - $8,8908 Week Internship: $6,690 12 Week Internship: $8,190 15 Week Internship: $8,890 *$500 supplemental fee for STEM internship placements
Spring 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalFebruary 7DepartureApril 4 | May 2PRICE$6,690 - $8,890
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- CIS Abroad Orientation
- Cultural activities and excursions
- Internship placement and supervision
- Housing (apartment) – Homestay placements available upon request
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- Career Launch Toolkit
- La Vida Local cultural program