Intern during the semester or summer in Cape Town, South Africa! With a variety of enriching placements available, you will find a great fit for your professional interests. In addition, you’ll get to practice independence in the lively progressive city of Cape Town, known for its active and welcoming LGBTQIA+ communities. Upon arrival, you will be welcomed by staff who will help orient you, settle you in, and ensure that you can comfortably make your way around the city. Embark on any number of adventures in South Africa: surf with penguins, dive with great white sharks, or climb Table Mountain! Immerse yourself in the local culture and live with interns from all over the world.
Fall: May 15 | June 15
Spring: October 1 | October 15
- Customized internship placement in Cape Town and the surrounding townships
- Multi-day orientation to help you transition into Cape Town life
- Weekly activities in the program to keep you active and engaged
- Flexible duration: eight or twelve weeks
- Opportunities to connect with other international interns and students through planned social activities
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Below are a few sample art and design internship placements undertaken by past participants.
There are many more possibilities, as each placement is customized.
Contact an advisor to learn more!
Through our partnership with Plymouth State University, you can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed here. Alternatively, many students are able to arrange for credit through their home universities. Learn More →
Life in Cape Town
Welcome and Orientation
Upon arrival you’ll take part in a comprehensive orientation program. You’ll learn the “do’s and don’ts” of South African life, like how to get around by public transportation, how to stay safe, what to do in case of an emergency and who to contact if you have any questions. We’ll also tell you all about our favorite places in town (restaurants, museums, markets etc). Oh, and you’ll join in on a welcome meal, something traditional and yummy (ever heard of “Bobotie?”) so that you can start to taste the local flavor.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
Though you’re not an astronaut returning from space, re-entering your home culture after being abroad can be shocking to the system. We’ll walk you through some of the things to expect, rehash your time abroad so that you can remember the highlights and, yep, we’ll feed you again as part of our farewell to South Africa.
- Festivals and Music Gigs: South Africans love their festivals! Every season offers something special, whether it’s music or fun events; it’s a great way to experience community.
- Baphumelele Orphanage: Visit and volunteer at this local orphanage. Participate in their monthly art and yoga program.
- Long Street: Lined with Bohemian coffee shops and bookstores, discover why this is the heartbeat of Cape Town’s city center.
- V&A Waterfront Harbour: Take a stroll along the harbour, enjoying the sweeping views of the Atlantic.
- Bo-Kaap Neighbourhood: Here you can learn how to cook local Cape cuisine!
- Greenmarket Square: Shop in this local market and get great bargains for Pan-African crafts.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Cape Point Nature Reserve
This reserve marks the southwestern-most tip of the continent. Enjoy dramatic views, deserted beaches, and fantastic hiking trails.
This sheltered beach is made up of gigantic granite boulders which provides calm waters for swimming. You’ll have to share the beach with the African penguins who nest there.
Ride up the cable car in Cape Town’s famed National Park. It won’t be hard to see why it’s called Table Mountain.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: I always seek out local live music when I travel. Music is a great way to get to know the country you’re in, and it’s a great place to meet new people.
Travel Tip: To really experience local culture, no matter where you are in the world, always watch where the locals go for lunch – they usually go for the best local cuisine at the most affordable prices. Also, always be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut.
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 1ArrivalMay 9DepartureJuly 4 | August 1PRICE$5,990 - $6,9908 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Summer 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineFebruary 15ArrivalMay 30DepartureJuly 25 | August 22PRICE$5,990 - $6,9908 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Fall 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalAugust 29 (Estimated)DepartureOctober 24 | November 21 (Estimated)PRICE$5,990 - $6,9908 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Fall 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineJune 15ArrivalOctober 3 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 28 (Estimated)PRICE$5,9908 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Fall 2020: Session 3
Application DeadlineJuly 15ArrivalNovember 4 (Estimated)DepartureDecember 28 (Estimated)PRICE$5,9908 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Spring 2021: Session 1
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalJanuary 17 (Estimated)DepartureMarch 13 | April 10 (Estimated)PRICE$5,990 - $6,990 (Estimated)8 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
Spring 2021: Session 2
Application DeadlineOctober 15ArrivalFebruary 14 (Estimated)DepartureApril 10 | May 8 (Estimated)PRICE$5,990 - $6,990 (Estimated)8 week internship: $5,990 12 week internship: $6,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Internship placement and supervision
- Housing in a communal house with single room
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Financial aid counseling
- Airport pickup
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program