Located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Hawai’i may be a part of the United States, but it is miles away from the continental U.S. in both location and lifestyle. Your internship will take place in and around Honolulu, the state’s capital and most populous city. Our Site Director hand-picks every internship placement, so you can be sure that you’ll get an internship that’s perfect for you. Honolulu is a major hub for international business and hosts a large diversity of cuisines, cultures, and indigenous Hawaiian traditions. Enjoy the connectivity of a modern city with easy access to outdoor adventures.
- Many exploration opportunities, including snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, hiking Manoa Falls, and visiting ancient Hawaiian fishponds
- Unique cultural melting-pot that blends influences from Hawaiian, Pacific, Asian, American cultures
- Variety of internship placements available, in both urban Honolulu and less populated areas of Oahu
- Engaging welcome orientation and cultural activities
- Exceptional program support
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
While participating on a CISabroad program, you’ll be able to take part in built-in weekend and day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Below are a few sample biology and ecology internship placements undertaken by past participants.
There are many more possibilities, as each placement is customized.
Contact an advisor to learn more!
Through our partnership with Plymouth State University, you can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed here. Alternatively, many students are able to arrange for credit through their home universities. Learn More →
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial
At World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument, home of the USS Arizona Memorial, learn about one of the most pivotal moments in U.S. history: the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the subsequent entry of the United States into World War II. The monument preserves and interprets the stories of the Pacific War, from the internment of Japanese Americans to the battles in the Aleutians.
Group Surf Lesson
While enjoying the fun and sun in Honolulu, take a surf lesson tailored to fit all ages and skill levels. Learn the basics of proper form and ocean safety from a CPR and AED-certified professional surf instructor. After balance ball training, head to the water and discover how to paddle and catch waves. The instructor remains in the water through the end of the lesson, making students feel at home while attending to every learning need.
Snorkel and Sailing
Embark upon a relaxing sail through Oahu’s calm Waikiki waters as playful spinner dolphins frolic alongside and iconic Diamond Head lingers in the distance. Arrive at beautiful Turtle Canyon to snorkel among colorful marine fish and sea turtles. Swim along some of Waikiki’s most pristine reefs and sunbathe and bask in the serenity of a morning cruise.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Leave everything you think you know about traveling, the country, culture, or people, behind you! You’ll most likely be surprised, so discover everything as new. Take public transportation and make friends with locals- they will show you the best places and usually hook you up. Most of all, stay present and enjoy! 🙂
Travel Tip: Pack for summer! Hawai’i’s temperature is 86F and sunny all year round. Drink lots of water and don’t forget your sunscreen! Arrive with an open mind and a sense of adventure.
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 15ArrivalMay 18 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 13 | August 10 (Estimated)PRICE$4,990 - $5,990 (Estimated)8 week internship: $4,990 12 week internship: $5,990
Summer 2019: Session 2
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJune 15 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 10 (Estimated)PRICE$4,990 (Estimated)8 week internship: $4,990
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Internship placement and supervision
- Housing (most placements in shared studio rooms)
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program