Immerse yourself in Costa Rica with a hands-on internship. When you intern in Costa Rica, you’ll live, study, and work with Costa Ricans and explore one of the most beautiful and environmentally rich countries in the world! During our Intern in Costa Rica program, study Spanish in bustling San José and be placed in an individualized internship. You can gain practical skills in your major and really boost your resume with international work experience. In your free time, explore nearby volcanoes, adventure into the rain forest, and get to know Costa Rican culture firsthand.
Fall: May 1 | June 1
Spring: September 1 | October 1
- Internship placements ranging from business or social work to marine biology or environmental conservation
- Variety of activities and social events throughout the program
- Cooking classes, dance classes, and sports events, where you can bond with your fellow interns
- Each internship includes a beginner, intermediate, or advanced Spanish-language class for the first two weeks of program
- Networking opportunities with international students from around the world
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
These are a few of our Environment & Sustainability placements that you are able to intern with.
There are many more options though, just contact an advisor to learn more!
Through our partnership with Plymouth State University, you can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed here. Alternatively, many students are able to arrange for credit through their home universities. Learn More →
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve
The mountainous area of Monteverde is dense with tropical rainforest. At an altitude of over 1,000 meters, the trees capture cloud moisture, often giving the area 100 percent humidity. In this reserve, you’ll see the staggering environmental diversity from skywalks and bridges suspended 60 meters up in the canopy.
Located on the northwest Pacific coast, Tamarindo Bay is ideal if you’re looking for an adrenaline rush or some down time on the beach. Swim, surf, sail, kayak, or jet ski in the ocean — or ride horses on the beach! Plus, you can visit the leatherback turtle reserves to spot these incredible creatures.
Arenal Volcano and Baldi Hot Springs
Take a hike down to the La Fortuna Waterfall, where you’ll be able to swim in the cool water. Soak in the naturally heated waters of Baldi Hot Springs and enjoy the view of Arenal, which is a perfect cone volcano.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Dont limit yourself to the more popular tourist spots. There are tons of lesser known places that are beautiful and rich in culture where you can really experience what Costa Rica is all about!
Summer 2019: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 1ArrivalJune 1 (Estimated)OrientationJune 2 -3 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 27 | August 10 | August 24 (Estimated)PRICE$4,790 - $5,9908 weeks: $4,790 10 weeks: $5,390 12 weeks: $5,990
Summer 2019: Session 2
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJuly 7 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 31 | September 14 (Estimated)PRICE$4,790 - $5,3908 weeks: $4,790 10 weeks: $5,390
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Internship placement and supervision
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- NYTimes Digital Subscription
- La Vida Local cultural program
- 2 weeks of Spanish language classes