Lend a hand while building practical skills by interning abroad in Thailand! You’ll be based in historic Chiang Mai, a popular destination for foreign and local travelers alike due to its great climate, amazing foods, surrounding mountains and hundreds of ancient temples dating back to the 14th century. Immerse in local workplace culture and experience Thailand from a different lens while contributing to noble causes in fields such as community development, education, environmental conservation, health care, and human rights. You will have plenty of time to explore the temples and culture of Chiang Mai, as well as Thailand’s northern region, and further afield.
Fall - Session 1: May 15
Fall - Session 2: June 1
Spring: October 1 | November 1
- Hands-on placements in the fields of healthcare, education, journalism, and community development
- Homestay for full immersion into the beautiful and welcoming Thai culture
- Flexible start dates throughout the year
- Quaint college town of Chiang Mai, full of charm and adventure
- Easy and inexpensive options for independent weekend travel
- Delicious and affordable Thai cuisine
- 3 to 12 U.S. credit options available
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Below are a few sample education internship placements undertaken by past participants.
There are many more possibilities, as each placement is customized.
Contact an advisor to learn more!
Through our partnership with Plymouth State University, you can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed here. Alternatively, many students are able to arrange for credit through their home universities. Learn More →
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
CISabroad participants will enjoy a day of friendly appreciation of elephants at one of Thailand’s most respected elephant sanctuaries. You’ll learn about the sanctuary’s role in the protection of these great creatures, and maybe even get to take a swim with them!
A shorter day trip to visit the amazing mountains and national parks surrounding Chiang Mai, not only will you see some beautiful natural scenary, this is also a great opportunity to visit hilltribe villages in person and in a respectful and sustainable way.
Thai Cooking Class
During this excursion you will learn all about Thai fruits, vegetable, and herbs, visit the market and learn about the different ingredients and then make 5 dishes of your own from scratch.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: Leave everything you think you know about traveling, the country, culture, or people, behind you! You’ll most likely be surprised, so discover everything as new. Take public transportation and make friends with locals- they will show you the best places and usually hook you up. Most of all, stay present and enjoy! 🙂
Travel Tip: Expect the unexpected! Sometimes culture shock is stronger in countries where you expect things to be more similar to your home country and environment. Traveling abroad is an excellent way to learn more about your own culture, habits, style, and adaptability.
Spring 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalJanuary 11OrientationJanuary 12DepartureFebruary 8 | March 7 | April 4PRICE$3,690 - $5,490 (Estimated)4 week internship: $3,690 8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Spring 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineNovember 1ArrivalFebruary 7DepartureMarch 7 | April 4 | May 2PRICE$3,690 - $5,490 (Estimated)4 week internship: $3,690 8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 1ArrivalMay 8 (Estimated)DepartureJune 6 | July 4 | August 1 (Estimated)PRICE$3,690 - $5,490 (Estimated)4 week internship: $3,690 8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Summer 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineMarch 1ArrivalJune 5 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 4 | August 1 | August 29 (Estimated)PRICE4 week internship: $3,690 8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Summer 2020: Session 3
Application DeadlineApril 1ArrivalJuly 3 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 1 | August 29 | September 26 (Estimated)PRICE4 week internship: $3,690 8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Fall 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineMay 15ArrivalSeptember 4 (Estimated)DepartureOctober 31 | November 28 (Estimated)PRICE$4,590 - $5,490 (Estimated)8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
Fall 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineJune 1ArrivalOctober 2 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 28 (Estimated)PRICE$4,590 (Estimated)8 week internship: $4,590 12 week internship: $5,490
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Orientation in Chiang Mai
- Thai language (intro. lessons during orientation; two hours per week thereafter)
- Multiple excursions depending on the length of your program
- Internship placement and support
- Housing (homestay)
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- La Vida Local cultural program