Brisbane may be known for being more laid back, but this city packs in the authentic Australian experiences. But don’t get the wrong idea – with its eclectic art and music scenes, Brisbane can hold its own. With seasonally warmer weather than Sydney (and a more affordable cost-of-living), Brisbane is surrounded by nature, including coastal islands, lakes, forests, and the Brisbane River, which runs right through the city. You’ll live and work in navigable Brisbane, often described as a large country town with access to a lot of adventure.
Summer: February 1 | February 15
Fall: May 1 | June 1
- Brisbane's clean aesthetic gives the appearance that it's all business, but beneath its facade you'll find a humble, friendly demeanor
- Enjoy the cafe culture in a city that takes its coffee as seriously as anything else
- Positioned between modest mountains, lush forests, and stunning coastline, from your base in Brisbane you have 360 degrees of adventure potential
- Soak up the culture in the city's abundant museums, galleries, and public spaces
- Connect with your friendly Global Advisor to ask questions and find the best fit program. Start planning for on campus processes, and apply by the application deadline.
- Meet your Program Enrollment Coordinator to finalize acceptance paperwork, housing, courses, flights, visas, and payments. Attend one our our LIVE pre-departure orientations.
- Fly away! You'll be greeted at the airport (comforting after a long flight!) and experience a robust On-site Orientation and La Vida Local Curriculum with your Site Director.
Life in Brisbane
Welcome and Orientation
Your program will kick off with a comprehensive orientation. We’ll give you a lay of the land and explore some of Brisbane’s top sites, from beaches to business districts. We’ll also sit down to discuss health and safety, as well as cultural and linguistic differences. And, we’ll enjoy a tasty meal together.
Farewell and Re-entry Program
While you might think Australia is all about adventure, its culture will definitely leave an impression on you. You’ll likely learn to appreciate Brisbane’s unique combination of professionalism and laid-back nature, distinct from comparable US cities. You’ll come away from your time in Brisbane with a new perspective on so many things in life that it’s important to reflect on your time abroad and prepare for how it will change you for years to come. We’ve been in your shoes, and we’ll help you process everything and prepare you for your return home over a final meal.
Interns in Brisbane, Australia will live in shared rooms in apartments in or near Brisbane’s central business district (downtown). Apartment amenities may vary, with the following among the common inclusions:
- Kitchen equipment
- Basic furniture
- Streets Beach: Enjoy the beach without having to leave this city! This man-made beach offers white sands, sparkling waters, and a city skyline. Check out the Nepalese Pagoda nearby - it’s one of only three located outside Nepal.
- Experience the Arts: Brisbane offers a great music and art scene. The impressive 17,000-piece collection at the Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art span two riverside buildings, and don’t miss The Henderson Gallery, which focuses on working with First Nations Artists.
- Visit Brisbane’s Islands: If you’re willing to take a ferry ride, you can experience the magic of Moreton Island, a national park paradise of lagoons and sandy beaches, where you can go diving or snorkeling. Learn more about the local culture as you catch migrating whales (between June and October).
While participating on a CISabroad program, you'll be able to take part in built-in day trips at no additional cost. These trips are subject to change from term to term; listed below are excursions that have run in the past.
Burleigh Headland Walk
Take a beautiful walk around the Burleigh Head National Park and visit the Jellurgal Aboriginal Cultural Centre. Here you can try bush tucker (bushfood) and learn about the amazing culture of the Yugambeh people.
Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary
Visit one of the Gold Coast’s most popular tourist destinations in natural bushland and rainforest settings. You can feed the friendly kangaroos and say “gidday” to a koala at our local wildlife reserve.
Your Support Staff
Travel Tip: We love what we do and want to talk to you! The Global Advising Center is here to help you decide on a program, and complete the Online Application. From the moment you first hear from us be it through a phone call, email or personal visit, you will find that our passion for international education is contagious. We’re ready to launch you abroad.
Travel Tip: When I begin planning a trip I love to leave two or three days free. There are always fun activities you’ll learn about while in country so you don’t want to miss out on them due to over scheduling!
Travel Tip: Get outside, take your time to walk around the streets of your new city or neighbourhood – get a feel for the people and what makes it unique. I love getting up early and exploring a new destination as it ‘wakes up’- it is an amazing time of the day to see a city or town slowly come to life.
Spring 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineSeptember 1ArrivalJanuary 10 (Estimated)DepartureMarch 7 | April 4 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,190 (Estimated)
Spring 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineOctober 1ArrivalFebruary 7 (Estimated)DepartureApril 4 | May 2 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,190 (Estimated)
Summer 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineFebruary 1ArrivalMay 17 (Estimated)DepartureJuly 13 | August 10 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,190 (Estimated)
Summer 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineFebruary 15ArrivalJune 14 (Estimated)DepartureAugust 10 | September 7 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,190 (Estimated)
Fall 2020: Session 1
Application DeadlineMay 1ArrivalSeptember 7 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 2 | November 30 | December 21 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 - $8,990 (Estimated)
Fall 2020: Session 2
Application DeadlineJune 1ArrivalOctober 4 (Estimated)DepartureNovember 30 (Estimated)PRICE$6,690 (Estimated)
CIS Abroad reserves the right to alter fees at any time due to currency fluctuations and/or fee changes made by our partner universities.
As with all study abroad programs, you should count on a few additional expenses.
Program fees are in US dollars and include the following:
- Cultural activities and excursions
- Internship placement and supervision
- Medical and accident insurance
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation
- Financial aid counseling
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Airport pickup service
- On-site support
- Career Launch Toolkit
- La Vida Local cultural program