CIS Abroad Response to COVID-19. Updates here.

Intern Abroad for Academic Credit

Find information about earning credit for a Virtual Global Internship here.


As a CIS Abroad participant of an intern abroad program, you have a couple of options to receive credit for your internship:

Option 1: Transferable credit arranged through CIS Abroad

You can earn between 3-12 credits in the fields listed below through our partnership with Plymouth State University. Listed below are the field, the Plymouth State University course number that will appear on your transcript, as well as the range of credits available. Contact an advisor to see if the the following fields are available in your study abroad location. For the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, only pass/no pass grades will be issued via the PSU transcript. Upon request, CIS Abroad will issue a grade report indicated the grade earned by the intern along with the PSU transcript.

Course Name/
Credits Applicable Fields for Transfer Credit
Art History AH 4880 3-6 Museum Studies, Curation
Anthropology AN4610 3-12
Business BU 4600 3-12 Accounting, Advertising, Entrepreneurship, Economics, Finance, International, Marketing
Communication and Media Studies CM 3950 3-6 Advertising, Communication, Film and Television, Journalism, Public Relations.

Students must have taken “Intro to Media and Cultural Studies” and “Intro to Communication”

Criminal Justice CJ 4580 3-6 Criminology, Law
Dance DN 4410 3-12
English EN 4950 3-12 English and Literature
Only offered as pass/fail.
Environmental Planning EPL 3960 3-6 Environmental Science and Sustainable Development
Geography GE 3960 3-6
Graphic Design AG 4900 3-6 Only offered to students with senior status (students must have completed the equivalent of 90 credits).
History HI 4000 3-6
Interdisciplinary Studies IP 3100 3-12 Only offered as pass/fail
Music MU 4410 3-12
Philosophy HI 4000 3
Political Science PO 4010 3-12
Social Science SS 3910 3-6 Psychology
Sociology SO 4601 3-12
Theater TH 4410 3-12
Tourism Management TMP 4000 3-12 Eco-tourism, Hospitality, Tourism, Recreational Management.

To receive credit through CIS Abroad from Plymouth State University, interns must have completed a minimum of 60 hours (approximately 2 full years) of college or university credit before going on the program and be majoring or minoring in one of the fields listed above.

GPA: 2.5

There is an $600 fee for interns who wish to receive credit from Plymouth State University. There is no price difference for 3, 6, 9, or 12 credits.

How is credit given?
Credit will be assessed and given based on the successful completion of a variety of assignments. Assignments include papers, reflection papers, and evaluations and will be assessed based on this grading rubric.

Credit is given in letter grade format (A,B,C,D,F) in a specific academic discipline. The amount of credit is awarded based on the number of hours interned: 120 hours = 3 credits, 240 hours = 6 credits, 360 hours = 9 credits, 480 hours = 12 credits. Interns will receive a transcript 6-10 weeks after the program ends stating the grade and the number of credits earned. The number of hours that can be completed depends on type of internship and location.

Plymouth State University, CIS Abroad’s accrediting partner, is a NEASC-accredited institution with more than 20 years of experience awarding internship credit both domestically and internationally. Plymouth State University has been nationally recognized for its commitment to the environment and for innovative programs that are making an impact both regionally and globally.

Option 2: Credit arranged through your home institution

Many students are able to arrange credit approval through their home universities. Contact your study abroad office, academic advisor, or career services to see if this option is available at your school!

NEW! Starting Summer 2020: Plymouth State University coursework and grade report included for all Intern in Rome students

All Intern in Rome participants will be enrolled in the Plymouth State University internship course, completing the assignments as outlined above. At the end of the term, you will receive a grade report (not a transcript) to show for your completion of the coursework.

What’s the difference between a grade report and a transcript?

A grade report shows the grades earned for one term (or in this case, course). A transcript, in contrast, shows the entire academic history. If you are seeking credit for your internship, talk to your home university – you will likely need to order a transcript.