Semester in Limerick Housing
Thomond Village is located right on the River Shannon a short walk from your classes. It is a phenomenal spot!!
But don’t just take our word for it!
Have a look at this fun video from one our Spring 2019 students, who did a little five-minute housing tour!
Here are some general rules, tips, and expectations to help you become accustomed to your new home!
CIS Abroad students at the University of Limerick live in on-campus apartments at Thomond Village. Each apartment usually houses about 6 students. Thomond Village is located on the North Campus, which is linked to the South Campus by means of a spectacular bridge across the River Shannon. Students have single bedrooms and bathrooms with shared kitchens and living rooms. Onsite is a convenience shop and village hall, where students can use rooms for meetings and study groups.
There is no meal plan included in your program fees. However, there is a package of discounts that you can purchase for a price when you arrive onsite if you like. You can see a sample discount package put together by Aramark caterers here. You will learn more about this opportunity on campus. Think hard about how much money you plan to spend at on-campus eateries. If you think you’ll be eating out in town a lot, are looking forward to doing a lot of your own cooking, or plan to travel often, you might find that some of the money you have put in to the cost of a pre-paid meal plan goes to waste by the end of the term. On the other hand, if you do want to take advantage of the great food on campus, and know that that UL campus eateries will be your primary source for meals, you might save yourself some Euros!
Thomond Village provides the following:
- Individual apartments with 2/4/6 large study bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, fully fitted kitchen/living room and a comfortable lounge area
- Accommodation for students with impaired mobility
- Accommodation for students with families
- Electric heating
- Cable television
- High speed internet connection via UL network
- Direct dial telephone facility – with use of phone cards
- Weekly refuse collection
- Full access to UL Sport gym & swimming pool
- Complimentary refuse sacks (garbage bags) and light bulbs
- Village Shop adjacent in Dromroe Village
- Full maintenance service
- Regular security patrols at night
- Enclosed areas for bicycles
- Free bike hire (rent)
What about sheets and towels?
International students traveling from abroad are provided with linen for the first one to two weeks and can keep this for the duration of their stay or return to reception if they wish to purchase their own. Towels are not provided, so do bring a shower towel.
Please note: hot water for showers is on a timer! The hot water timer is set to the following times:
06h00 – 10h00 – 4 hours in the morning
16h00 – 21h00. – 4 hours in the evenings
When there is no hot water, there is a boost button on the boiler time clock, when pressed it will heat up the water but this takes approx. 20 minutes to heat up and this only lasts for 1 shower…
What comes with the apartment? For a full detail of inventory, please download the inventory list here.
Any questions about amenities? Check out the Frequently Asked Questions page by clicking here!
- Guests are allowed to visit for a maximum of 1 week. Students must receive approval from all housemates and let the Village Manager know of guests ahead of time, as well as check any guests in upon arrival.