Interested in being a travel writer? We’ve found that when students go abroad often times they suddenly found an inspiration that propels them into “blogland.” We have compiled 10 of our favorite travel writing prompts to inspire your next travel writings.
Matthew, an intern in South Africa in 2014, wrote for the first time after being on an international internship program for two and a half weeks. He’d fallen in love. Sometimes love inspires us to write. Shakespeare was king of that idea. Matthew fell in love with South Africa, he writes:
“So from seeing all the natural beauty this place (South Africa) has to offer, to experiencing local food and the people, I have fallen in love. It also helps that I have made so many friends with the people who I live with. I live with people from all over the world and I can honestly say that I have made friends I know I will have for a lifetime. Everyone is open-minded and is excited to meet new people and try new things. It’s hard to find people like this back home and it has made me feel apart of something bigger than myself for the first time in my life. I feel so much more grounded and have much more clarity being here and I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. I’m so excited to see what is in store the next 5 in a half weeks. I love and miss all my friends and family dearly, but we will see each other soon enough!”
Writing helps synthesize cultural adaptation, process foreign experiences, and document the changes that are happening right in front of our eyes! At CISabroad we love to read our student’s expressive writing and we’ve compiled a list of top ten travel writing tips for a successful blog while studying abroad.
Top ten travel writing tips for a successful blog:
1. Write freely. Grammar and editing can come later. Sit down and just write for one minute without stopping.
2. Find a local busy coffee shop and describe the scene around you.
3. Have you fallen in love with a destination, new tradition, or new language? Tell the world about it!
4. Pick one new thing you learned today. Tell the world.
5. Describe an obstacle you overcame.
6. Tell a story about the people you are traveling with or people you have met.
7. What tips do you want to share with other travelers?
8. Write about your favorite dish or snack from where you are and how it is prepared.
9. Write about the most amazing moment of your trip so far.
10. Share your #ootd. What is the ideal outfit to wear in your location?
Feel like sharing what you write with us? Submit blog posts using this page and you could end up on our blog! #CISfamous