1. What is the cost of program tuition? What is included in the program fees?
The program cost for the January in Mexico program can be found here.
2. When are the program fees due?
Program fees for January in Mexico are due on November 15th. CISabroad will email invoices to students approximately one month before the program payment deadline. For example, if your payment deadline is July 15, you should expect your invoice in mid-June. If you are using financial aid, please ensure all financial aid paperwork is returned to our office by the payment deadline. If your financial aid does not cover your entire balance, CISabroad accepts these payment methods.
3. What is due with my application and when is my application due?
There are four easy steps in the application process.
1. Fill out the online application, which includes your contact information, what program you are applying for, etc.
2. Pay the $200 application deposit in order to secure your space in the program. This amount will be applied toward the final cost.
3. Complete the Academic Reference Form, Course Selection Worksheet, Personal Statement, Applicant Profile, and Scholarship Application (optional).
4. Mail in your official transcript to our office.
For detailed instructions, see application instructions. The application deadline for January in Mexico is November 15th.
4. Do I need a passport or visa? When should I apply for my passport/visa?
Yes, you WILL need a passport to travel to Mexico. Your passport must be valid for 6 months BEYOND the date you return to the United States. For detailed passport instructions, U.S. citizens should check the State Department's Travel Site. For the January in Mexico program, visas are NOT required.
5. Is there a GPA requirement?
Yes. The GPA requirement for the January in Mexico program is 2.5, but sometimes a lower GPA is accepted. If you find your GPA is lower than the requirement, do not despair! Use the "Contact a CISabroad Advisor" button on this page or call us at 1-877-617-9090 to let us know your situation. We'll do all we can to find the right program for you!
6. What are my housing options?
The January in Mexico program uses homestay families. They are thoroughly vetted and evaluated on a regular basis. Transportation to and from the Universidad Internacional is included if your host family lives farther away from the school, however most of the families live within a short walking distance. The family will provide the student with three homecooked meals a day and will provide linens and towels which will be washed once a week; all other laundry is the responsibility of the student. During your homestay, you will be part of the family and will have the chance to practice your Spanish while gaining intimate familiarity with the local culture.
7. Will other students participate in the program with me? How many?
CISabroad programs are not only a great way to meet local and international students, but also students from around the United States. Program size varies each year - if enrollment size is important to you, contact a CISabroad advisor at 1-877-617-9090.
8. How many credits are offered in the program?
For January in Mexico, students will be enrolled in a full Spanish immersion curriculum for a total of 4-5 credits, depending on the length of the program. For more information on course options, go here.
9. Can I combine this program with another CISabroad program like intern, summer, or semester abroad?
Yes! A great way to extend your CISabroad experience is participating in another program. Combine semester programs to create a full academic year or if an academic year is just a little too long and a semester is too short, combine a semester and summer session or a semester and January term program. You can also participate in a semester abroad and combine that with a summer intern abroad. To find out more information on the application process for more than one CISabroad program, contact a CISabroad advisor at 1-877-617-9090.